Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New super cheap Blu-ray build

So after a few year hiatus I am back at lasers. Now I am looking to build a very small blu-ray pointer. It will use a disposable E-cig as a host. The driver is in its own thread since I am curious to how it works and is it safe to use for these diodes: 405nm 150mW Blu Ray Burning UV Laser Diode 3 Pack Low Price US Seller | eBay

The batteries are from e-cigs, module is from the red, protection circuit from an old ipod, all of it sourced from junk laying around.
Gratuitous pic:

Link to driver thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/weird-driver-out-cheap-red-pointer-91120.html

Oh ordered some diode mounts and some other stuff from aixiz, and this from fleabay:
301 Super Power 405nm Adjustable Focus Blue Violet Laser Pointer Battery Charger | eBay

Let the fun begin!

If you can take a photo of that blue 301 so I can see what the module looks like inside, I'd sure like to know.

Ya know surprisingly I bought this one to take apart, so I will be glad to provide pics. I have a feeling it will be a few weeks though(slow boat from china).

Did you test the driver dropout voltage for the current you need? You may have a problem if the two lithium batteries are too few to power the 405nm diode. Hard to say, you must test the driver this way :)

Yeah, I really need a boost driver, the one I have isn't gonna work. The problem I have is I need one at least 8mm wide or smaller.

How's the progress on this build? Looks pretty sick man

I want to build either a 405 or a 445 - getting parts together before I begin: Got any tips for a first build?

Good luck with the build
Nelly

Progress is kinda halted, I cant find a driver small enough, and the module's beam spot sucks, way to large with bad washout. Gonna try and go a little bigger, but not much. All I can say for a first build is plan well, then get ready to alter them on the fly. LOL

OR for $3 you may get a 405 China penpointer between 60 and 120 mW and free shipping too.

While your hopes of building with that list of parts may seem doable i doubt it.

Still fun to try even if it wont work like you planned.

lots on SMD drivers for the 405 PHR diodes... a good/inexpensive one to make an easy 100 mW. IIRC they like ~7 vdc so I would use two Li-ions 3.7 vdc

USAbro

The phrase, "slow boat from China" really makes me laugh every time I see it for some reason.