Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Project... In Host Battery Monitoring, etc

ENX

Hello,

Looking at all of LPF's projects and hosts, I am getting overload on ideas that I want to try. I am trying to colminate a bunch of these ideas and some of my own to start a new experimental project...

The objective is to create a new portable host laser and am going to attempt to integrate a couple variations from some other LPF'ers projects and using some new stuff I found. The first version will probably resemble a Borg mothership with stuff sticking out all sides:)

1. I will be using an all extruded aluminum host coming from China in the next week or so (Super small and versitle). I think someone built a blue ninja out of one of these. Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -3.15"*0.96"*0.94"(L*W*H)

2. I found some cool pressure sesitive, lighted buttons that would look nice for activation of the laser. Sample: Illuminated Vandal Resistant Switch L22 (22mm) Stainless steel Sales, Buy Illuminated Vandal Resistant Switch L22 (22mm) Stainless steel Products from alibaba.com

3. I want to include in host battery voltage and current monitoring, using some pre-made circuits from the RC world, like RCX03-043 : Li-Polymer Battery Package Voltage Indicator (1-6 Cell) [RCX03-043] Review - USD3.95 : MyRcMart.COM : Features Used for 1S-6S 3.7V~22.2V  Li-Po Battery Voltage test/check Auto shift the voltage data one unit by one unit Protect reverse co or a couple other varieties: TowerHobbies.com | Shop by Category: Battery Testers

4. Variable laser power management, by externalizing the driver potentiometer into an variable dial or slide switch on the control plannel of the laser host. This would allow for control of the power output without tearing the unit apart each time to adjust. Maybe I could set up switch to alternate meter to current display and test load for current setting by #. (This would be Phase III) At that point it might be cool to integrate a pulsed multi-mode configuration option too.

5. The plan is also to incorporate a charging jack, so batteries do not need to be removed from the device for charging. The package would be screwed together.

6. I would love to build a servo driven focusing adpater that can be calibrated for certain preset distances within the lense range. This will probably be phase II. I would like to do true auto focus like my camera, but if I can manage preset range focus, I will be very happy.

7. Of'course this is going to need to be a >1.5w 445nm setup to make it interesting, worth while, and to match the host box and illuminated switch colors :)

8. A friend suggested I go ahead and add a phaser sound option too and vary the sound with the level of power selected. Also thought about doing a dual barrel head with 2 Diodes for a cool double beam effect, but maybe next time.

I know some of this sounds cool in theory to me, but execution of everything is probably going to be hard or impossible, but hey... it will be fun trying & leardning.

Anyway, just ordered a lot of these parts and hope to start preliminary construction by this weekend. If anyone has successfully made any of these pieces work individually or together, I would like to hear of your trials and tribulations.

I think this one is going to be fun to see how much stuff I can effectively get stuffed in the small project box and make it work.

Plus, If I can make it work, I should be able to sell them for $200 and lose $500 on each one :) No just building the one prototype for now.

Suggestions and/or comments welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Hey those are some pretty nice ideas. I would love to see them in reality ;) good luck :beer:

jimdt7

Very good ideas but i dont think all these
things will fit inside the aluminum box :(
But anyway, you choose +1 :beer:

Jim

Good ideas and I don't want to burst your bubble but...

It is a certainty that all those parts and ideas will not fit in
that tiny 0.94" X 0.96" X 3.15" box with a Laser and batteries..

Perhaps a much bigger box for the prototype and then reduce
the size after the concepts have been proven...

Jerry

ENX

You're all probably right that it's not all going to fit.
I am going to do a prototype and see where I am.
Maybe start with a shoebox :)

Right now I am still collecting components, so not sure of total size or of what will work or not. But I'm sure I will have more ideas of features to include once I get started assembling and testing.

Good idea...+1... I've also thought about building a host with a voltage monitor incorporated into the host...and those switches are awesome!

-Sarge