Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

new poster, have questions adding laser to cnc router

kcalvano

Hi all. New to the forum. I have a small home based business with my DIY 4x8 cnc router. I cut quite a bit of sheet aluminum and am looking to expand my services with a laser. I am interested in either adding a laser to the cnc in order to engrave aluminum/steel if possible, or engraving wood/acrylic/glass. I would like to attach it to the z axis and I am planning on using water cooling(as I am currently using for my spindle). I have done a bit of research but in honesty, I have a lot to learn. I'm not going to jump right in and start messing with lasers as I realise they can be dangerous. I'm just looking for advise on my options so I can plan for the cost and learn the necessary info for whatever direction I choose. I have marked a few diodes from ebay as a staring point. I was hoping to get some general feeback on these diodes and if they would be suitable for what I would like to accomplish and if so, what other goodies I would need to make it work. Thanks. Kevin

808nm 15W High Power C Mount Laser Diode | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261267374706?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Laser Diode 8 Watt 915nm Fiber Coupled 100UM JDSU 6397 L3 8W New 63 00332 | eBay

808nm 7 5W High Heat Load Laser Diode | eBay

Htoe Fiber Coupled High Power Laser Diode 8 Watt 810nm | eBay

Last edited:

kcalvano

I think I'm leaning toward the first or second one. Would either work for engraving wood/plastic?

Last edited: