Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Platlight Build in NF-009 Host. ~10A "Awesome"

This Thread got Lost so Iam Just Putting it back up.:) I added a New video as well and More videos to come tonight.:D
Hey Guys,
Just Finished My second Platlight build.:eg:
I decided i wanted something that had a little better run time until i complete the other one that iam working on.:)
Right Now this is Running Off 1x 18650 at Low Voltage ~ 3.80V until i get my Lipo in which will Keep the voltage low and Supply more currant. Iam Using A123 as DTR Recommended.:)
I think my DMM 10A setting is messed up so Iam Not sure if its Reading Correctly. Iam Going to get another meter tomorrow and will know for sure whats it Direct driving at right now.
Update: With a Sanyo 18650 2600mah with my New DMM its doing ~10A at 4.10V:eg: Could not believe that the LED is taking that. These are rated for ~8A.:) I bet this think will be running higher at 4.2V. But iam not going to push it. No Wonder on my small Phlatlight build it was really bright. because i was putting a fully charged 14500 in.:p I do Not recommend this though. If you are going to direct drive i would get some 3.2v cells
So Right now because of the extra voltage the LED is getting Hotter then it should. So the Host is taking it pretty well and spreading the heat well.:wave: I see 1 flaw in this Host and that is the Pill sits Below the Chunky part of aluminum and Fines. It sits Just enough bellow it that its not transferring the heat through the fine area first but the body then the fines. I feel the heat going Down toward the Body of the Host rather then to the Fine Area. I think if it was Up a little more it would have been a All around Perfect host. But dont get me Wrong the Host still does a Good Job but i think it would have been better the way i explained it.
Also THis host was Designed for 2x 18650 or 2x 18500 so i had to make a spacer to take up the rest of the space since i was just using a Single 18650.:)
Another thing is the Switch Failed in this Host. As well as 5 other ones i tried.:crackup: So i modified a new Rocker switch in that can Handle 18A. Works Great. I ordered a Clicky type switch that can Handle More Amps. Once it comes in i will Re do the tail cap with it. But i kinda Like this Switch that i have in there now. We will see.:p
This Host Reflector is One of the best Ive seen for throwing and is why i wanted it in this Host to be able to see the beam. Iam Dieing for a Foggy night.
You can still see the beam Now but its not as solid. But still enjoyable.
Iam Happy with this build after all the modification. Not to mention the Host was Only $25.:D

Ive Order 5 more of these host. Iam going to build a Green and Blue LED one and a Red/Green & Purple Lasers in the other since i already have a 2.2W 445nm in one already.:D THis is going to take some time to build up but when its done its going to be awesome. THe heatsink is overkill for a 660nm/532nm/405nm lasers but i like the host and i want a matching set in them.
Here are some Pictures and Videos Of the Completed Build.

Picutres:

P7230094.jpg

P7230102.jpg

P7230095.jpg

P7230134.jpg

P7230119.jpg

P7230111.jpg

P7230131.jpg

P7230130.jpg

P7230126.jpg

P7230128.jpg

P7230124.jpg

P7230107.jpg

P7230105.jpg

P7230135.jpg

P7230137.jpg

P7230138.jpg

P7230139.jpg

P7230140.jpg

P7230143.jpg

P7230146.jpg

P7230087.jpg

Videos:
Lots of Fog.

****New Video****

Phlatlight and my 2.2W 445nm in Matching Host

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Last edited:

LaZeRz

I cant wait to see the rest! :D

Beams at night please!!!

hehehe, 1000 postzz

Last edited:
I have one of these LEDs how much would you charge me to make me one if I send you the LED?

I cant wait to see the rest! :D

Beams at night please!!!

hehehe, 1000 postzz

Congrats on 1000 post.:wave: :bday: :beer:

Trust me iam Dieing for a Foggy Night. I Pray everyday for one.:can: I hope we get one before the end of this weekend because my sister is going to take back here good camera unless she leaves it for me again until she comes back down for her next visit to my house since see lives in NY.

I have one of these LEDs how much would you charge me to make me one if I send you the LED?

Not sure about selling these in this Host.

THis is a 2x 18650 Host. I would have to use a spacer witch iam dong now. I also found some CR123A DUMMY cells here:
CR123A Size Dummy Cell - 0 Voltage for Flashlight spacer DUMMY-CR123A

That i ordered a few days ago to test out.:D I wish they made DUMMY 18650 cells like that but i cannot find any.:(

Iam going to probably make a press fit insert that takes up half of the Host so i wont need battery spacers anymore.

If they Dummy cells check out and my A123 Cells come in and everything test out ill send you a PM. But i dont feel comfortable selling a Platlight Build in this host until i do what i said above first.:beer:

Hope you understand.:)

Last edited:
SST-90 is the domed white version of this.

Great build, dude! Post up some update pics when those LiFePo4's come in!

Update:

Just got my A123A cells in today as well as my CR123A Dummy/spacer Cells.:wave:

Still waiting on my charger to come in so now iam just using my Tenergy Lifepo4 CR123A Charger with wire and magnets coming off the terminals to the A123 Lifepo4 18650 when charging.:)

These cells are Great. THe Supply 9.3A - 10A. I found that using the prongs on your DMM will reduce the actual amount of amps its showing on the display quit a bit. So you will see in the picture below what i did in order to get the correct Amp rating.:D

The Dummy/Spacer cells are not so Great. THe Cut nearly Half the power going to the LED. I was very disappointed with this. THe are just to thin to allow that much Power to flow through them. So iam still using a threaded built for a spacer. Iam working on something that will fill up the bottom half of the host now that will be able to handle and allow the current to flow better.

I think the dummy cells are good just for filling a space up in a laser build or flashlight build that has a driver in it. Direct drive these things are No Good.

Here are some pictures of the cells,Spacers and what i used to measure the Amps on my DMM.:)

Pictures:

682_3985.jpg

682_3998.jpg

682_4000.jpg

682_4004.jpg

Dummy Cells.

682_4010.jpg

Here is what i used to test the Amps on my DMM. Its the wire that was attached to the Phlatlight.:D The difference between my prongs and this mod wire set up is about 2A. Different DMM Prongs may very, but i have read that the thicker the wire and the shorter it is the better for a more accurate reading.:)

Thanks for Looking.:beer:

LaZeRz

Nice work! :)

Have you tried putting a convex lens over it to try and burn stuff? :eg:

That would be pretty cool...

Helios

Update:

Just got my A123A cells in today as well as my CR123A Dummy/spacer Cells.:wave:

Did you buy chance discover the A123 cells when I was discussing them in another thread? I am just curious because I had never seen them here and now I have seen them here twice in the last few weeks! I think these cells could be the new thing even for lasers but we will need new drivers for the high power single cell builds. The boost drivers available now are not up to the task but imagine having a pocket build using a 16340 LiFePO4 cell capable of a 7A continuous drain!

Nice work! :)

Have you tried putting a convex lens over it to try and burn stuff? :eg:

That would be pretty cool...

Unfortunately Not yet. But maybe ill make you guys a video before i put it in a light next time.:) I dont think its possible to do it when you have it in a Light.

DLMB has a few videos of him lighting a match etc.:)

Did you buy chance discover the A123 cells when I was discussing them in another thread? I am just curious because I had never seen them here and now I have seen them here twice in the last few weeks! I think these cells could be the new thing even for lasers but we will need new drivers for the high power single cell builds. The boost drivers available now are not up to the task but imagine having a pocket build using a 16340 LiFePO4 cell capable of a 7A continuous drain!

Nope.:) DTR recommended them before this thread got deleted when LPF when down last time. We lost alot of the post in this thread when i had to repost it.:)

They are good cells but this Phlatlight build eats them like crazy.:gun:

For the Money though they are outstanding IMO.:wave:

Last edited:

Helios

Nope.:) DTR recommended them before this thread got deleted when LPF when down last time. We lost alot of the post in this thread when i had to repost it.:)

The are good cells but this Phlatlight build eats them like crazy.:gun:

For the Money though they are outstanding IMO.:wave:

Ahhh he is the other person I saw with them here. Makes sense