Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Pet

7-8 inches of legs.

DSC07358.jpg

DSC07361.jpg

DSC07362.jpg

DSC07367.jpg

DSC07368.jpg

i don't know why but I suddenly got hungry when I saw your new pet :eek: I must have been in thailand, vietnam, china, korea, japan too long ;D we eat all sorts of stuffs :p everything from wolves to grasshoppers. maybe a few live octopuses and squid along the way :p

diachi

maxkillz said:
i don't know why but I suddenly got hungry when I saw your new pet :eek: I must have been in thailand, vietnam, china, korea, japan too long ;D we eat all sorts of stuffs :p everything from wolves to grasshoppers. maybe a few live octopuses and squid along the way :p

;D ;D

I want one of those things, they look fun ! :D ( centipedes ? )

Ace82

Exoskeleton! Yay! That thing looks knarly! Does it move fast or slow?

maxkillz: I like octopus and squid, never tried wolf, but I'll try anything that sounds interesting... at least once. What took you all over Asia? Work?

Diachi: Yes, it's a Vietnamese Centipede (Scolopendra subspinipes, if that's spelled correctly).
They're tons of fun, I've caught a couple smaller centipedes (4 inches) native to California, but this is the first one I've bought. $20 was a deal I couldn't pass up!

Ace: This thing is fast! The smaller ones I had were way quick, and it seems that the size doesn't slow these things down at all. One got loose once... It took a good ten minutes to chase it down and get it back in the tank!

cmendoza: It's poisonous, but not necessarily lethal. Allergies may make a bite deadly, but generally the result would most likely be localized pain and swelling...
And supposedly the pain is proportionate to the size of the centipede... 8 inches long, 3/4 of an inch wide... yeesh.

I told my girlfriend it's cute. She doesn't believe me.  ;D

The thing is, I'm afraid to take it out of the tank... If I so much as breathe on it, it goes into attack mode and it's the scariest thing ever. Centipedes have got to be the most aggressive arthropod I've ever kept in a tank.
Tarantulas and scorpions are very docile compared to these guys.

I can't wait to feed it!

Edit: And the color is actually a dark red, the legs came out nice and yellow, but since he's nocturnal the lighting is never good enough to get an accurate depiction of the red on his shell. It's pretty. :-*

Ace82

Does he chase lasers?  :D Does he even have eyes? because with feelers like that why would it? ;D

Ace82 said:
Does he chase lasers?  :D Does he even have eyes? because with feelers like that why would it?  ;D

He's got eyes, but I'm not sure what wavelengths he/she is sensitive to.
No it doesn't chase lasers.   :p

His antennae are cool. I like it when they curl.
He looks so peaceful when he sleeps.  [smiley=engel017.gif]

I'll feed him soon and get some videos of him munching on something furry.  [smiley=evil.gif]

Furry? What do they eat? Wouldn't you feed them other insects (such as cockroahes or grasshoppers or something?)

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
Furry?  What do they eat?  Wouldn't you feed them other insects (such as cockroahes or grasshoppers or something?)

-Mark

Yeah, but this guy can take on rodents.
They'll eat pretty much anything that they can overpower.

RA_pierce said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1223404309/0#12 date=1223435504]Furry?  What do they eat?  Wouldn't you feed them other insects (such as cockroahes or grasshoppers or something?)

-Mark

Yeah, but this guy can take on rodents.
They'll eat pretty much anything that they can overpower.[/quote]

The problem with rodents is that they are expensive; where I live, they are $2 each!

I realized that a much cheaper way to feed my pets (leopard geckos) is to breed my own roaches.

-Mark