Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member from southern California

I've been a laser junkie for a long time. It started when I was attending ITT and working at Melles Griot 23 yrs ago. Up until recently my experience was all HeNe,Nd:Yag and CO2.

I've got a stable of about 20 HeNe's (IR, Red and Green) form 4" to 18" tubes

I found the forum through rog8811's website while looking for info in a white laser(Ti:saphire)

I was hooked on diodes after looking at rog's project.:D

I ordered some phr's from stonetek and have already assembled 1 successfully(running a conservative 80ma with a flexdrive)

I scavanged a red diode from an older 8x BTC dvd burner I had laying around and currently am working on assembling a DDL driver(having a current problem, even with just 2 1ohm resisters in parralel I can only get 150ma with 6v power:cryyy:) and mounting system.

I also ordered an o-like 50mw green module. Which should complete my rainbow for the moment.:wave:

:thanks::thanks:

Hey another S. Cal laser guy! :wave: Welcome! btw, I worked at Mellis Griot too about '87 ! PM me and we can talk! -Glenn

Hi SOLONAR, WELCOME to LPF. By what you said when you cordially introduced yourself
to the Forum, it sounds like we now have another VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE Member in our midst. You must have already spent YEARS in the realm of lasers, & I for one am looking forward into tapping a NEW reservoir of laser information. I'm sure your prior experience
with lasers will benefit us all. Happy to have you aboard............rob

I'm in Oceanside.

I worked at Melles Griot from '86 to '87 in San Marcos then Carlsbad. I was lead in charge of a small crew on night shift making the "Omega" line of low-cost HeNe's.

pheonix77 said:
By what you said when you cordially introduced yourself
to the Forum, it sounds like we now have another VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE Member in our midst. You must have already spent YEARS in the realm of lasers, & I for one am looking forward into tapping a NEW reservoir of laser information. I'm sure your prior experience
with lasers will benefit us all
:bowdown:

Dunno about that, but as I manufactured thousands of HeNe's I may be able to help ppl having problems with them.:yh:

My experience with Nd:Yag and CO2 were in usage for circuit prototyping. Never saw much of the internal workings of the big ones. I assembled and tested a couple of lower power(10 -25 W) CO2's at Melles Griot.

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
You will find a lot of knowledgeable members here...
Enjoy your stay....

Jerry

Rob

Welcome to the forum! I'm from So Cal as well!

-Rob

I suck !!!! I'm stuck in friggin' INDIANA, with their freakish weather. Us HOOSIERS have a saying here, "If ya don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes & it'll change." Which to me means (with all the metal implants I have inside me & from all the surgeries), every time the weather changes it causes me a world of pain & agony 'till the weather stabilizes again. (for another 5 min.)
:wtf: :thinking: :wtf: :thinking: :wtf: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Welcome! Also from So Cal. Looks like you already have a nice collection. Hope you enjoy the forums. :)

Nice collection SOLONAR. You have more gas lasers than any other kind. I never got into gas lasers at all. Most likely 'cause I've never owned one. Any time I had the funds for one, I always seemed to find another type or color of portable laser & that's where the funds went to. IDK, maybe some day ?? I don't own any labbys either, for the same reason..................rob

When I collected these, diodes were a rarity and mostly IR.

Most of these were rejects for one reason or another. Low power, mode hopping, beam alignment and such. The 18" greenie is only 0.9 mW, one of the 15" reds is 13 mW but mode hops like crazy. The small ones range from .3 mW to 3 mW.

I'd love to get an Ar/Kr, but price and not having a suitable place to use one safely is a problem.

Last edited: