Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Member and Laser Recommendation

Hey guys, new member here. Always been interested in high powered lasers, and finally bought one during WL's 40% sale. I got the Evo 75mW, but I wish they had another green laser in between their Evo and 750mW Krpyton (and not so absurdly expensive). Can anyone recommend a durable 200-300mW green diode laser pointer? I'm not even sure what manufacturers or websites to look at, the links to the official lists don't work for some reason. The Evo seems like it'd be a great "for fun" laser, but I also want something that will *really* dazzle a night sky with a super visible beam even when viewed from the side.

After poking around the forum a bit, I came to to conclusion that SkyLaser (Laserbtb) and JetLaser were the current favorites. Given that, I just ordered a 500mW 532nm PL-Series laser from laserbtb.

I am 99% certain that I will completely refrain from using it indoors without safety glasses. Even with the 50mW green laser I had, just the reflection off a wall (not even a glossy finished surface) was a bit much. I hope this laser is better built than the ones I got from dealextreme, they just sort of started falling apart after a little. The buttons would stop working, and soon after the beam just wouldn't get anywhere near as bright anymore as it did initially. Not sure if that problem is related to shoddy On/Off switches not fully engaging the circuit, but for $500 and SkyLaser's general reputation around here I'm hopeful this thing will last me for at least a few years.

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

SF501B 520nm Forest Green

AW IMR 18350 800mAh LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery

be safe, do lots of research. lasers are no joke. consider an intro thread, read stickied threads about safety

Thank you for the tip on reading the stickies. I bought an extra pair of safety goggles, the "Multi-Wavelength Laser Protection Glasses Goggle. CE certified" by lightobject on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043BAAP2). I also ordered a Nitecore 3400mAh 18650 battery, and their i2 charger. I read in the sticky to NOT use the cheap chinese chargers that come with lasers, and the pictured charger that's included looks exactly like the type shown not to use... Hopefully I'm all set now!

I can also recommend Gamma Lasers. They are based on the JetLasers hosts (in my opinion the best hosts currently on the market) and they install higher quality components (drivers, diodes, lenses, etc). In terms of green laser, I am selling a 1000mW green laser for $79. It doesn't look fancy but it is darn powerful.

I can also recommend Gamma Lasers. They are based on the JetLasers hosts (in my opinion the best hosts currently on the market) and they install higher quality components (drivers, diodes, lenses, etc). In terms of green laser, I am selling a 1000mW green laser for $79. It doesn't look fancy but it is darn powerful.

And what condition is this 1W green laser in? Got a power chart to back up that claim? A 1W 520nm or 532nm in new/like new condition is easily worth $500+.

i would suggest buying from scifi they are a good company. with quality hosts, lens, diodes etc.

And what condition is this 1W green laser in? Got a power chart to back up that claim? A 1W 520nm or 532nm in new/like new condition is easily worth $500+.

right? try again

Sta

You are talking out of your a$$. There is no way *anyone* would sell a 1W green for 79 dollars. It's just ridiculous. A 1W 532 is $1000+ and a 1W 520 is at least $550 at the minimum.

Well, it was sold to me as a 1W green laser. I have no idea what the actual output is but I'd let it go for $79 and whoever wants it, can test the actual output. I'd be also curious.

Back to this thread's actual topic.....

Those Sci-Fi Lasers look interesting. Any idea how the overall quality of laser units stacks up between Sky, CNI, and Sci-Fi? I can't say I'm a fan of the JetLaser housing... I'm thinking SkyLasers should be pretty darn good seeing as how the forum actually organized a mass group buy with Laserbtb.

Encap

What or who is Gamma Lasers ---- no evidence of any such company on Google search.

1W green $79? Impossible. Perhaps it is a cheap 100 mW.

After poking around the forum a bit, I came to to conclusion that SkyLaser (Laserbtb) and JetLaser were the current favorites. Given that, I just ordered a 500mW 532nm PL-Series laser from laserbtb.

I am 99% certain that I will completely refrain from using it indoors without safety glasses. Even with the 50mW green laser I had, just the reflection off a wall (not even a glossy finished surface) was a bit much. I hope this laser is better built than the ones I got from dealextreme, they just sort of started falling apart after a little. The buttons would stop working, and soon after the beam just wouldn't get anywhere near as bright anymore as it did initially. Not sure if that problem is related to shoddy On/Off switches not fully engaging the circuit, but for $500 and SkyLaser's general reputation around here I'm hopeful this thing will last me for at least a few years.

Shame you ordered so fast, they have 520 too which is diode and more stable and the true green compared to 532 but you will get a overspec laser above 500 for sure but be careful its dangerous that high powered laser use safety first. And also 500 is way too powerful to be using without goggles just saying but it all depends what you plan use it to etc i feel my 520 100mW is crazy bright in a dark room.. And yes the pl hosts are nice heavy and feels well built so if you take care it will last you many years for sure, you cant compare their better hosts to the cheaper crap you find on ebay etc..

Last edited:
Back on topic:

Can anyone give me some safety advice that I might not have already gleaned from reading the owner's guide sticky that was posted? I'd feel safer getting some "do's and dont's", and maybe some anecdotal pointers from experienced members. The last thing I need is to flash blind myself or someone else, a 500mW green laser is not even in the same ballpark with what I've personally messed with before. I also don't need to get into any legal trouble. I of course know that lasering aircraft is not only incredibly stupid, but incredibly illegal, as is pointing a laser at someone's eyes.

Last edited: