Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Laser Projects, some help requested.

Given the latest news on the Arctics I went ahead and finally cancelled my order. So now I'm looking at building a few lasers.

I happened upon many of Jayrobs kits, and I found several that I liked and I think will fit the bill for what I'm after. My problem comes from basically being a laser noob, in several cases he has options available and simply put, I have no idea what the appropriate options are, and I was hoping someone could help me out with my build options so I can be sure to get everything I need for these builds.

I have 3 lasers I wanted to build...

Laser1 (445nm 1w):
Who doesn't want one of these at the moment :). I really like the looks of Jayrobs Stainless Steel 18650 host for this one, and it sounds like it will probably be big enough to handle the 1w power for this build.

so we have the following list of options...

Kit - clearly I want this ($55)
'Hot' option - Pretty sure I want this ($48)
Copper Heatsink upgrade - No idea if I need this or not, or what it even is exactly.
EZFocus adapter - Want this
AixiZ module - not sure if I need this or not, my understanding is that this IS the laser module I need to purchase seperately.
1/2" custom copper module - again no idea if I need this.
Glass Lenses - No idea which one would be appropriate (405, 650, aixiz, etc...)

In the 'Hot' option he mentions setting the current, but I have no idea what current would be required for this laser, how do I determine the current needs for my build? I assume this is related specifically to the Diode being used, but all I ever see for stats on the diode are the color (445nm) and the power (1w). Not sure what I need to do in order to translate that data into the current ratings he needs.

Obviously I understand the purpose of the Copper Heatsink, but I have no idea what makes it different than what is current there (unless there simply is no heatsink currently there, I have no idea if this is the case or not). I assume in my 1w Build this is probably a good idea to have but I have no idea how much if at all it will actually impact the heat dissipation on the laser.

It looks like his builds are more or less "Plug'n'Play" but that assumes I have the right components. Right now I simply don't know enough to know how much I don't know lol :D.

Laser2 (535nm 250mw):
My second laser I wanted to be the same host, but as a 200-250mw green laser. Many of the same questions still apply to this build. While I assume the copper heatsink is probably necessary for the 1w build, given the significantly lower power on this build would it still be necessary, or even useful for that matter?

Laser3 (535nm 15mw):
The last build I wanted to do was a simple SS keychain build using a lower power green laser. I wanted something safe to use to play with my cats or generally use as a pointer without having to worry too much about saftey (obviously never intended to be pointed in anyones eye). I want this laser to be bright and easily visible but not harmful. I was thinking somewhere around a 5-15mw would be sufficient, what power would you guys recommend for something like this?

One of the websites recommended for the laser Modules was O-Like, I took a look at some of their green modules (50-150mw) and it looks like they have the laser Diode, what appears to be an AixiZ module I assume, and it looks like on the back of the module there is already a driver attached, is that accurate?

Green laser module 150mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM150] - $96.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Would this be a bad module to use for Jayrobs prebuilts since it already has the aixiz module attached to a driver?

So in summary...
Laser1 - Burner
Laser2 - Star Pointer
Laser3 - Pet Toy

Last edited:

For the last one, just buy one of the $10 green 5mw pointers off ebay. They're almost always overspec.

And the 'hot options' jayrob offers. Pretty much all you have to do with those is insert diode.. that's it. He just can't legally sell whole lasers without all the required safety features.

Laser2 (535nm 250mw):
My second laser I wanted to be the same host, but as a 200-250mw green laser. Many of the same questions still apply to this build. While I assume the copper heatsink is probably necessary for the 1w build, given the significantly lower power on this build would it still be necessary, or even useful for that matter?

The power consumption of a 200-250mW green module will be close to that of a 1W 445nm laser.
There are "150mW" modules available, but most are outputting 120-130mW of green at most with the rest being IR.
For a star pointer, this will be sufficient, if not excessive.

Laser3 (535nm 15mw):
The last build I wanted to do was a simple SS keychain build using a lower power green laser. I wanted something safe to use to play with my cats or generally use as a pointer without having to worry too much about saftey (obviously never intended to be pointed in anyones eye). I want this laser to be bright and easily visible but not harmful. I was thinking somewhere around a 5-15mw would be sufficient, what power would you guys recommend for something like this?

For playing around indoors with animals, you want 5mW.
There are many websites that sell affordable 5mW pens. If you want a guaranteed 5mW laser with no IR spewing out the end, you will have to pay a little more.
Most, if not all, of the cheap "5mW" pens can be anywhere between 5-40mW with lots of IR leaking from the pump.
I would recommend Z-bolt.com or Laserglow.com

One of the websites recommended for the laser Modules was O-Like, I took a look at some of their green modules (50-150mw) and it looks like they have the laser Diode, what appears to be an AixiZ module I assume, and it looks like on the back of the module there is already a driver attached, is that accurate?

It's not an Aixiz module. FYI green is DPSS, not diode like common red, violet, and blues. If you are not familiar with the term, Google search or some of the FAQs here should be able to answer your questions.

Green laser module 150mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM150] - $96.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Would this be a bad module to use for Jayrobs prebuilts since it already has the aixiz module attached to a driver?

I believe Jay does have a kit available for the green modules.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

3zuli

Kit - clearly I want this ($55)
'Hot' option - Pretty sure I want this ($48)
Copper Heatsink upgrade - No idea if I need this or not, or what it even is exactly.
EZFocus adapter - Want this
AixiZ module - not sure if I need this or not, my understanding is that this IS the laser module I need to purchase seperately.
1/2" custom copper module - again no idea if I need this.
Glass Lenses - No idea which one would be appropriate (405, 650, aixiz, etc...)
hot option - you don't need this if you're able to solder spring, driver, laser diode and all the wires YOURSELF - if you want 1W then you need current about 1100mA
copper HS - for high pwr laser this is a MUST HAVE (makes better heat transfer)
lens - the aixiz 405-445nm lens is best, but also 405-g-1 also works

aixiz/copper module - jayrob offers an press fit heatsink design (diode is pressed directly in the HS and it has also threads for the lens). if you choose the standart heatsink (just a hole with a set screw) you'll need the module. the aixiz module is enough but if you have the money buy the copper module from jay...
also, I don't see any goggles in your list :eek: at 1W goggles are necessary!
btw 250mW for astronomy is a bit overkill, 150mW will be enough (like this http://www.rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=62)
hope this helped :)

Last edited:

Morgan

Just to add a couple of points if I may...

green is actually 532nm but that's nit-picking! :p

The, 'hot option', with Jayrob's kit also means you don't have to have a testload, Digital Multimeter, etc, to set your own current, as well as leaving only two wires to solder to your diode.

For 1W the copper heatsink is generally recommended as this will give a longer duty-cycle, (ratio of time on, to time off for cooling), as copper has more capacity to soak up heat. I'm not certain it dissipates any quicker or better but it does take longer to hit maximum.

For the same reason, the custom copper module is recommended. If you go for this option you will not need an Aixiz module.

The lens options are narrowed to only two really. The 405-G-1 from Jayrob is a great lens for output but the beam is somewhat messy, (there is a lens comparison thread and I think Jayrob has also posted the results in his sales thread here - http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/jayrob-build-kits-lenses-other-stuff-listed-here-44227.html). The 3 element glass AR coated lens for 405-445 shows a better beam, and dot, but maybe 15% or so less output in mW than the 405-G-1, (not noticeable to the eye). Do not use the standard Acrylic lens supplied with an Aixiz as it will melt and could permanently contaminate the window of your diode. FYI, the lens stating 650 determines the AR, (anti reflective), coating is suited to diodes outputting 650nm wavelengths, (and those close to it).

The EZ focus adapter is a must for these diodes. You WILL burn your fingers without one!

To complete these kits, you will need -

Electronic soldering equipment and some skill, (important as you kill a diode with heat if you take too long. We don't know your skill level but if you're inexperienced get some practice soldering thin wires to transistor legs! ;) ).

A vice and diode press tool. A diode press tool can be, 'made', from anything that will fit! Look through this thread for ideas - http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/inexepnsive-diode-press-tool-52960.html

... And lastly, patience! Don't rush anything. The minute you hurry; you'll fry something!

Check out the links in my sig for some general tips, handy knowledge, etc.

Good luck, they are great kits!

M
:)

Last edited: