Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Laser Build Oclaro 700mW 638nm

This is a new build Oclaro 700mW 638nm

Attachments

• IMG_7363.JPG
    IMG_7363.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

AniWon

:drool: soooo pretttyyyy. Beam looks kind of wide on one of those pictures? Is that an expander?

nope it's just the diode have a very bad divergence... all multi mode red have bad divergence for some reason... worse than blues and green..

It's a good looking little red monster, really bright.
Too bad about the diode, but at least they are cheap, my collection of dead nubm's are expensive magnet ornaments.

It's interesting the backing is ferrous, maybe the gold color coating helps move heat? But they act like steel, not the cans but the backing is ferrous, I would have thought it would be copper alloy or brass.

SANY0017_zpsobeta7za.jpg

SANY0023_zps2vmgrmg0.jpg

Reactions: GSS

Pman

Nice:) I always find it interesting that when we take pics showing the laser and beem a lot of the time the beem doesn't look straight. Optical illusion most of the time.
I've got plenty of magnets too Red;) Hate to figure out the cost of all my dead diodes.

Oh I hear ya, I have easily over 100 dead counting 532's.
But 15 and 40 dollar dead diodes hurt a lot less than 140 dollar dead diodes.

I just thought it was interesting that the backing is not some hard copper alloy or brass/aluminum for heat transfer.

GSS

It's a good looking little red monster, really bright.
Too bad about the diode, but at least they are cheap, my collection of dead nubm's are expensive magnet ornaments.

It's interesting the backing is ferrous, maybe the gold color coating helps move heat? But they act like steel, not the cans but the backing is ferrous, I would have thought it would be copper alloy or brass.

SANY0017_zpsobeta7za.jpg

SANY0023_zps2vmgrmg0.jpg
It reminds me of a sticky roach trap:) Are all diodes regardless of wavelength magnetic that you have seen?

Benm

I'm mostly curious why it turned (more) yellow during that. When heating a laser it normally red-shifts, so it should just have gone a dimmer and deeper shade of red.

I presume at the point where it turned yellow it wasn't actually lasing anymore and already led'ed.

As for these things being ferromagntic: That might actually not be caused by iron, but by nickel. Brass is sometimes nickel plated to help avoid corrosion, but that would make little sense if the brass is visible on the surface. One option could be that it's actually doubly plated - nickel onto brass and a thin layer of gold on top of that.

This is a new build Oclaro 700mW 638nm
Dtr's like always :)

-
This is my old video of my old build Oclaro 700mW 638nm
we will remember you hehe i pushed the diode over 2A the diode turned yellow almost :pop:

I'm planning on building a red Oclaro 700mw and I had a few questions.

Does it get hot fast?

And what lens did you use?

I'm planning on building a red Oclaro 700mw and I had a few questions.

Does it get hot fast?

And what lens did you use?

No its not getting hot very fast and i used a blue lens for the red lasers
i only used it to make the video i only keep it on my display i thing it shod be
40 seconds on and 1 minute off i will test one i will just keep it on until something happen since have 4 of this diodes :D