Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New kid on the block

Hi guys,

I've only recently stumbled upon the hobby of laser building since my ps3 fried. Long story short i stumbled upon some images of a ps3 blue ray laser. Now i have no clue about the drive itself, it just lights up blue when the ps3 comes on. since the gpu is melted no thanks to me i was wondering what i would need to make a pointer out of it... nothing fancy even a box laser would be ideal, just something to get my foot through the door with laser's. Is this even worth my time?, would i be able to do the traditional suff with it(matches, balloons, etc.) I'm not looking for any1 to do it for me, just point me in the right direction i.e. how to set it up, places to buy parts from how much current can i use safely on this particular diode.. Thanks a million

-Jay

First Off Welcome to the forums!

Well ps3 diodes are 2 in 1 they are red and blue which makes for a cool pointer but they don't burn i think the max output is around 20mw which would still be a nice pointer.
You will need a drive and you will need to search for the pin-out for the red and blu-ray .

O and caution building lasers can become extremely addictive and and you might blow all your money on lasers but no worry's.

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
There is a ton of Laser related info on the Forum..
You just need to read it...

Look at the FAQs and Stickies.... here are a few links to get you the basics...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pinouts-all-t3h-popular-diodes-37452.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pro-tips-w-spyderz20x6-building-your-first-diy-laser-40157.html

Jerry

Where can i buy a drive?..is there one that is interchangeable so if i want a better diode i can get one...also, what type of resistors would i need?

Go to the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the Forum and see what's
available right here..

Your questions show that you need to do a little research on your
own for a bit to get the basics of Laser Diodes and LD Drivers...
(to start with... read the Links I provided)

Jerry

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here. Here is some more good reading. ;)

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

Thanks to all to reply... i can see that im going to have a busy but fun time with this also. As my experience goes up so will my activity, i will also keep up with my ps3 pointer project as far as posting pics and what not.

Even though Aixiz is top notch, I love doing business with them, I bet you can score that diode for less.

One way is to buy a DVD burner drive, or a "sled" (the guts from the drive) and extract the diode, However like I said, Aixiz is top notch, I have 2 lasers from them, and I am very happy.

you can't go wrong with Aixiz. (and no I don't work there)