Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Idiots with Lasers Story

Razako

quadcam said:
And this is why red pointers should be $50, 3mw greens should be $300, and everything else should be even more expensive.

Back in the day stuff like this never happened. People never feared my lasers, they were always fascinated. Not any more, hell I'm scared to leave my house with my laser anymore.
Why should a 3mw green be $300? That's just ridiculous. 3mw is harmless.
What they need to do is keep all of the cheapo ebaysers and dx lasers out of the hands of idiots. Also pointers weren't even involved in this incident. Multiwatt lasers worth $3000 or more were used here.

Razako said:
[quote author=quadcam link=1216045155/0#15 date=1216060469]And this is why red pointers should be $50, 3mw greens should be $300, and everything else should be even more expensive.

Back in the day stuff like this never happened. People never feared my lasers, they were always fascinated. Not any more, hell I'm scared to leave my house with my laser anymore.
What they need to do is keep all of the cheapo ebaysers and dx lasers out of the hands of idiots.
[/quote]

I've been using lasers since the mid nineties, and I got my first green in 99, I miss those days when they were prohibitively expensive for most folks. I've never been a fan of these things being easily accessible, look what's happening to our hobby because every 12 year old tom dick and harry can get a high powered greenie for $25 on DX.

A 3mw greenie will still also put a dot on low clouds in the right conditions. I'm sure it could hit a low plane coming into an airport just as well as a higher power laser. About the only lasers useless for flashing planes are reds.

It's going to destroy one of my hobbies that I love.

Razako

quadcam said:
[quote author=Razako link=1216045155/0#16 date=1216060782][quote author=quadcam link=1216045155/0#15 date=1216060469]And this is why red pointers should be $50, 3mw greens should be $300, and everything else should be even more expensive.

What they need to do is keep all of the cheapo ebaysers and dx lasers out of the hands of idiots.
[/quote]

I've been using lasers since the mid nineties, and I got my first green in 99, I miss those days when they were prohibitively expensive for most folks. I've never been a fan of these things being easily accessible, look what's happening to our hobby because every 12 year old tom dick and harry can get a high powered greenie for $25 on DX.

It's going to destroy one of my hobbies that I love.[/quote]
Well making them so expensive that only rich people can afford them is being a bit elitist. IMO what they should do is tax anything >30mw to at least $200. If the laser is already worth >$200 no tax would be added.

Or they could always require an online IQ test before purchasing the laser ;D

wow! youtubes taken down laser vids now. i was followin the links in ur sig schrecken but it said the vids were no longer available for the beast 1-3 :'(

ya know its funny how you think ppl are smart til you hand them a laser. i work in a bar and i dont hand my lasers to ppl anymore...drunk or not. they get so fasinated by it that as soon as they turn it on they either aim it for a window or mirror and it reflects. i guess im just restating the fact that common sense really isnt that common :( but then again thats the irony of the word...

Ace82

GooeyGus said:
Lets see here... Huge pupils fully dilated from all the ecstasy... Staring at bright, pretty lights, also because of the ecstasy....add to that multi-watt lasers shined onto a tent probably no more than 10 or 20 feet above everyone's head.... add to that the fact that I'm sure a good percent of that light reflected right off the tent material... Sounds like a lot of sore eyes to me  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not to be bias, (or possibly a hypocrite-I will admit I tried it only once-and really didn’t like it) but doing ecstasy in the first place isn't really smart either. Heck, partially destroying your brain is worse then partially destroying your vision if you ask me. (although one is much quicker then the other…) Just seems like nothing good about the whole scene… Too bad people are quick to judge and draw conclusions from false speculations, and link responsible users (lasers…) to the abuser… :(

Nah don't get too excited. A few pills during a party won't destroy your brain. Just like getting drunk during a party won't. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but you'll have to try harder to actually do some damage.

Razako said:
[quote author=quadcam link=1216045155/0#17 date=1216060968][quote author=Razako link=1216045155/0#16 date=1216060782][quote author=quadcam link=1216045155/0#15 date=1216060469]And this is why red pointers should be $50, 3mw greens should be $300, and everything else should be even more expensive.

[/quote]

It's going to destroy one of my hobbies that I love.[/quote]
Well making them so expensive that only rich people can afford them is being a bit elitist. IMO what they should do is tax anything >30mw to at least $200. If the laser is already worth >$200 no tax would be added.

Or they could always require an online IQ test before purchasing the laser ;D[/quote]

I guess I could agree with either of those. I still wish we could go back to the pre-Seinfeld world of lasers though. I knew then that it was the beginning of the end.

I just wish they weren't so easy to get ahold of. I've said it before, not everyone should have a high powered car because of the inherent danger of ownership. For the most part, those people who do take the time and effort and money to acquire a powerful car will have done alot of research into the car, and will more than likely have worked their way up to it through the car world from something like a Civic Si or Mustang GT to a truely powerful car like a 600hp Supra or Terminator Cobra, and will know what they have and how to handle it, whereas if a 19 year old rich kid has daddy buy him a 600hp Supra, he'll end up getting into a wreck and leave some former marine brain dead. Oh wait, that did happen.

Personally, I can see a direct parallel to lasers here with maturity and affordability. Not everyone should have access to a powerful car, and not everyone should have access to a powerful laser. Period. Hell, I don't even own any really powerful lasers.

I loved it when no one knew what these fancy lights I have were.

Ace82 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1216045155/0#8 date=1216049583]Lets see here... Huge pupils fully dilated from all the ecstasy... Staring at bright, pretty lights, also because of the ecstasy....add to that multi-watt lasers shined onto a tent probably no more than 10 or 20 feet above everyone's head.... add to that the fact that I'm sure a good percent of that light reflected right off the tent material... Sounds like a lot of sore eyes to me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not to be bias, (or possibly a hypocrite-I will admit I tried it only once-and really didn’t like it) but doing ecstasy in the first place isn't really smart either. Heck, partially destroying your brain is worse then partially destroying your vision if you ask me. (although one is much quicker then the other…) Just seems like nothing good about the whole scene… Too bad people are quick to judge and draw conclusions from false speculations, and link responsible users (lasers…) to the abuser… :([/quote]

I both resemble and resent those remarks.. I am a "Child of the rave scene" and believe that i turned out fine.. I was a user of the entire alphabet.. E, K, LSD, and plenty others..

I have an IQ over 140 and still cant spell worth shit.. I have a succesful Job and do prety well for myself..

I cant disagree that there are plenty negative aspects of every counterculture scenes, but to to say "nothing good about the whole scene" is a little to broad of a remark, and i take minor offense to it.. Im not realy upset, it just kinda struck a chord i guess..

The "Rave Scene" has done LOADS to advance music.. and thats all i got to say about that...

Ace82

keeperx said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1216045155/20#20 date=1216066331][quote author=GooeyGus link=1216045155/0#8 date=1216049583]Lets see here... Huge pupils fully dilated from all the ecstasy... Staring at bright, pretty lights, also because of the ecstasy....add to that multi-watt lasers shined onto a tent probably no more than 10 or 20 feet above everyone's head.... add to that the fact that I'm sure a good percent of that light reflected right off the tent material... Sounds like a lot of sore eyes to me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not to be bias, (or possibly a hypocrite-I will admit I tried it only once-and really didn’t like it) but doing ecstasy in the first place isn't really smart either. Heck, partially destroying your brain is worse then partially destroying your vision if you ask me. (although one is much quicker then the other…) Just seems like nothing good about the whole scene… Too bad people are quick to judge and draw conclusions from false speculations, and link responsible users (lasers…) to the abuser… :([/quote]

I both resemble and resent those remarks.. I am a "Child of the rave scene" and believe that i turned out fine.. I was a user of the entire alphabet.. E, K, LSD, and plenty others..

I have an IQ over 140 and still cant spell worth shit.. I have a succesful Job and do prety well for myself..

I cant disagree that there are plenty negative aspects of every counterculture scenes, but to to say "nothing good about the whole scene" is a little to broad of a remark, and i take minor offense to it.. Im not realy upset, it just kinda struck a chord i guess..

The "Rave Scene" has done LOADS to advance music.. and thats all i got to say about that...
[/quote]

Well I agree that drugs have influenced music in spectacular ways, and I love trance music! I absolutely love Jim Morison, Jimmy Hendrix, etc. And I clearly remember how it felt to listen to music in that particular mindset. I don’t think drugs will affect your IQ too much, as there are many brilliant people who’ve done them all several times. (and some have different affects then others..) I just know it can affect your stability, your basic motor skills, your ability to reason, inhibitions, basically subconsciously. If anything, I think they offer opportunity (under the appropriate conditions…lasers being irresponsibly used is not one of them) to expand, if not abused. However, I believe that the vast majority use drugs for different purposes, to feel good, to have a good time, and to party, which isn’t necessarily wrong, but to truly respect the moment for what it is and not just to continue to want to go there again and again can lead to addiction, which can and does destroy lives, and that is what I feel isn’t good. Some people fold easily, and some are stronger, depends on the person.

I apologize for any offence I caused. That was not my intention. Perhaps my knowledge in that particular drug is very limited, although I’ve tried a few others…and I too am pretty successful, although my spelling isn’t great ether, but that’s been always! (even before any experimentations)