Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Idea

Ghostt

I have a new idea for a even more powerful laser, a lot of the problem with the bigger lasers is the heat they produce. I think I've found a way to reduce the need for a heat sink. I found that there are dielectric liquids for removing heat from electrical devices. you completely submerge the electrical equipment into it, and it allows the heat to be transferred away from the area without frying the components. my Idea was to remove the heatsink from inside the laser. and fill the whole thing with liquid around the laser components, then attach a few highly thermal conductive rods through the housing and into the liquid. have a heat sink on the outside with a fan to move all the heat away.

And there you go, you can have a even high powered laser.

Not saying this will work, but I am proposing the idea. So what does everyone think?

The limiting factor is often the optical density at the output facet. See COD - the most common failure mode of laser diodes.

Wouldn't a more powerful diode solve that problem?
\

not if you plan on over driving it... the methods we use for heat sinking work. if there was an efficient and strong optical set up in our 5.6mm cans, our heat sinking would still be sufficient. so lets say you can use your liquid cooling idea. what benefits does it have. you still need a host capable of holding batteries... which are much larger in diameter than 5.6mm. so what would hold the diode???

michael.

Ghostt

yeah true, I was just thinking it'd make a portable 50w possible. If you can get over the other hurdles.

Ghostt

so basically I'd need to have something to hold a diode inside a big host, or possibly an external battery pack attached to the host. are there any drivers, and diodes that could handle lets say 50w?

Morgan

^Yes, there are but you aren't going to make it look pretty or make it handheld. Off the top of my head; maybe the size of a large lunchbox to fit anything like the required batteries and I don't think you'd get much cooling in there.

This is not really an idea worth pursuing. There are already 50W laser units out there with liquid cooling so it is not a new idea either. Have a little look using google. You'll find your 50W pretty quickly I should imagine.
Your location says you're under a rock, [EDIT: Halfway up a cliff]. I hope you're not really under a bridge!

M
:)

Last edited: