Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New guy introduction + Question

Hi guys!

So this is my first post on LPF. There won't be too many of them, because I'm not really into the lasers (more flashlights, a lot safer :yh:).
But the thing is: I picked up this cheap ~5mW green laser pointer from DX to use with a science project I'm doing.
The project went fine, and since it has been collecting dust in the drawer. When I last took it out, I noticed a lot of 'spill' in the beam. There is just a cloud of light around the laser. I don't like it!

How do I get it out?

PS: I do respect the dangers of lasers. Some kid at school was selling >200mW lasers from DX and was frequently shining into people's faces with it. I took a hammer to it:whistle:. That's why I bought the lowest wattage from DX and I don't 'play' around with it that much.

Thanks!

Blord

Welcome to the LPF forum.

The lens is probably dirty, you need to clean it. Blow the dust away or clean the lens with 96% alcohol and Q-tips or tissues.

avoid Q-tips they can scratch lenses.
Use an air duster for a pc and if that wont work use a lens cloth for glasses.

NewWish style housings can be a real pain when it comes to cleaning the lens. I had'have the 50mW 450nm (blue) pointer from laserlands, which was built in to such a housing. The lens was recessed over 48mm away from the aperture - no lens cloth would get in. Now, Q-tips can work for glass lenses, but not acryllic lenses, as they will scratch. I wound up resorting to the q-tip, which destroyed the acryllic lens. I ended up completely disassembling the laser and rebuilding the module in to a DIY custom host. I replaced the acryllic lens with an Aixiz 3-element AR coated lens. Now it is much easier to clean the lens.

Good luck cleaning yours, and avoid Q-tips for cheap lasers.

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

33 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

I couldn't have answered your questions any better
than the the members above...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Yeah I'm Dutch.
I have a replacement driver laying around, it was made for use with an LED. Will this work?
I have the AA extension tube, which will give me 3V. Won't that be suffice?

I have a replacement driver laying around, it was made for use with an LED. Will this work?

How the heck are we suppose to know. How about posting pictures, and specs. We cant guess what you have, or if it will work.

If you want to learn to build lasers there are plenty of stickies to get you started. Please read them, and have the information on the items you have when asking a question.

I'm starting to think if its that kid who wanted to buy a 200mW DX module, and put it into a flashlight.

Last edited:

Paddy

Urm i found a way of cleaning the lenses on the type of laser pretty easy, take a cotton bud/q-tip whatever you wanna call it, pull all the fluff off it, cut a strip off a glasses cleaner cloth and push it inside the cotton bud tube.
Just keep a bit dangling off the end and cut it enough so it just fits in and clean it.
Worked a treat for me, just make sure you don't cut it too much or the plastic will scratch the lens. Hope this helps xD

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to get some Laser Safety Glasses, and the search function here can be your best friend; don't forget to read the Stickies.

I see you already have plenty of good answers......Enjoy :beer:

Last edited by a moderator: