Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New guy here, looking to build a pistol sight.

bpimm

Hi all I've been searching and reading for a couple days and haven't found anything on this topic, hopefully you guys can give me some ideas.

I'm looking into building a laser sight for a very small pistol, NAA 22lr. Someone used to make one for it but it was bulky and got terrible reviews and is discontinued now. I have a cheap >$10.00 pistol sight I grabbed online just to see what it was, less than 1mW red. I took it apart and the laser module is about the right size, it's .310" in diameter and .670" in length with a spring contact sticking out the back.

The first thing I noticed is the beam is not concentric with the housing requiring a huge amount of adjustment in the outer body. at 12" the beam is off by .250" so if you roll it on the counter the beam has a total travel of .500" at a foot.

What I'm looking for is a small focused or focusable module that I can build into my mount, a push on push off type switch, probably will go on the back of my mount, the battery or batteries will have to be remote mounted in the holster grip which closes over the pistol like like a jack knife. the whole package needs to be small enough to fit in the holster grip when it is closed.

The pistol frame is .410" wide and the slot in the grip is about .415", there is enough meat on the grip that I could open it up a bit if necessary.

Looking for suggestions or ideas on acceptable parts for this kind of application.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Here is a link to the pistol pistol
My grip is larger and covers the front of the pistol as well.

Last edited:

I suggest you buy a cheap green overspec 5mw laser on ebay with a tail-cap button and epoxy it to your pistol... But that may seem a little degrading to your gun.

Razako

Usually a cheap green laser won't hold up to the shock of being on a gun. You'd be better off with a red laser.

bpimm

I suggest you buy a cheap green overspec 5mw laser on ebay with a tail-cap button and epoxy it to your pistol... But that may seem a little degrading to your gun.

I'm hoping you're joking, not exactly the workmanship I'm striving for.

Besides I have a cheap ebay red laser sight, here it is, see the problem?
20160224_170601.jpg

and here with the grip closed.
20160224_170623.jpg

This is the laser module out of the cheap ebay sight, it is about as big as I want without anything else.
20160224_170711.jpg

The button switch alone is over a half inch by it's self.
20160224_174149.jpg

I'm hoping someone around here knows of a good quality laser diode and optics or a pre-focused or focusable module that would work for me, I don't really care if it's red or green it just needs to be small.

Razako

I'm hoping you're joking, not exactly the workmanship I'm striving for.

Besides I have a cheap ebay red laser sight, here it is, see the problem?
20160224_170601.jpg

and here with the grip closed.
20160224_170623.jpg

This is the laser module out of the cheap ebay sight, it is about as big as I want without anything else.
20160224_170711.jpg

The button switch alone is over a half inch by it's self.
20160224_174149.jpg

I'm hoping someone around here knows of a good quality laser diode and optics or a pre-focused or focusable module that would work for me, I don't really care if it's red or green it just needs to be small.
Dang, don't know if I can help you with that. Hopefully we have an experienced tinker/DIY master to help you out.

I think your best bet would be to mount it on the top rail, if you will.
I doubt you'd really be aiming down the sights of this gun anyway, and then it'll still fold closed.

My 2 cents. Doesn't solve your size issue though :thinking:

Last edited:

bpimm

I think your best bet would be to mount it on the top rail, if you will.
I doubt you'd really be aiming down the sights of this gun anyway, and then it'll still fold closed.

My 2 cents. Doesn't solve your size issue though :thinking:

Yes, that is my second option but it would leave the activation switch exposed when it's in my pocket and the opening for the laser exposed to more pocket lint.

I have been trying to come up with a switching method that would activate the laser upon opening the grip but so far nothing workable. at first I thought I could put the switch where it would be pressed when the hammer was cocked but then I realized it would shut it off the second time it was cocked... would only have laser on the odd numbered shots. LOL

Davidx

Have you tried Crimson Trace? I thought they made something for those little guys

bpimm

Have you tried Crimson Trace? I thought they made something for those little guys

Laserlite has a grip laser for it but they don't increase the size of the grip enough, with a factory size grip this is a 1 finger gun and I really don't like the feel of it, with the folding grip you have 1 on the trigger and 3 on the grip it actually feels good in the hand. Laserlite had a top rail mount one before the grip laser but it got horrible reviews because it wouldn't stay in place and the toggle switch activation got turned on in your pocket.

bpimm

This morning I played around on the CAD and came up with a concept I think will work. mounts to the bottom rail, I will turn the bottom rail into a dovetail so I can mount to it, holds the laser module kinda in front of the cylinder and the batteries can fit below and the grip will still close. I'll have to widen the slot in the grip a bit to clear the width.

This will put the switch just in front of the trigger so the trigger finger can operate the switch with a push.

NAA22%20laser%202.jpg

NAA22%20laser%201.jpg