Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New guy from Aus

Mation

Hey guys!
As you can see from the title I'm new from Australia!
I was just wondering on what I can do in Aus regarding lasers.
I know there some-what but I was just going to do some experiments and tests in my garage!

So if anyone can get back to me that would be awesome!
Thanks
-Mation

Things

Hey, welcome to the forums :)

There are quite a few Aussie members here, and we have seen a fair few more lately. Whereabouts in Aus are you exactly? Laser laws vary greatly by state. Though the general idea is to try and keep away from laser pointers, just to be on the safe side. I'd look at getting some form of laser module if all you want to do is experiment :)

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:
Welcome!
I'm from Australia too! I'm new here, but I think I've picked up the basic stuff.
You are allowed to build lasers, you can order modules and hosts and put them together.

Read all the stuff on the forums and be safe!

Lase

Always good to see another Aussie. Enjoy your stay here :D

As Things said the laws vary state by state so knowing where you are will help.

Lase

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

37 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Welcome Mation!

Always great to get another Aussie joining us!

If you need any help feel free to ask. Read the stickies and forum rules and have fun!

-Adrian

We'll have an army or Aussies soon. But I'll be the only one in perth haha...

Mation

I live in NSW, Syndney
Thanks for all the kind welcomes!
-Mation

strik3

welcome to the forums. im from adelaide. if ya need any help or info just ask around. everyone is usually willing to help out. but use the search first as most questions have been answered before. other than that have fun and be safe

vk2fro

Yay! another member in NSW (you wouldnt happen to be in sydney would you). Theres quite a few of us in the biggest city in the country, and as far as your question:

Laser pointers over 1mw in sydney/NSW are illegal. I'm sure thats the law across the country.

BUT!

if you are sensible and build your own, and keep it indoors and dont shoot it at planes, you have nothing to worry about. But to begin with, grab yourself a module, some saftey goggles and some lenses and prisms if you want to experiment.

Things has built his own laser lightshow projector doing around a watt, and I'm in the process of building one myself (doing over 2 watts, just to outdo Things).

Theres also gas lasers (which arent banned), and are pretty cool (I have a 160mw argon on the way. Shine it on a CD and it'll spit out 6 different coloured beams!). These are a tonne of fun, big, noisy and sound like they mean business, or the little helium neons that produce a cute little red spot of a few milliwats, to the big daddy co2 lasers that can burn holes in things much faster than the 445 builds we see on these forums.

Theres tonnes of stuff to do with lasers - I myself am concentrating on my gas problem (collecting gas lasers that is, not flatulance) and my projector and lasers of differing wavelengths.

I cant decide which to buy for my projector next.... the 1 Watt viasho or CNI green, or the quickshow thing :)

btw that avatar you used is simply cool!

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:

Mation

Oh jeez thanks for answering I feel better now!
And yes I live in Sydney! So if we need to do Buy/Trade/Sell that would be easy
Thanks dude
-Mation

vk2fro

yep - and the majority of the sellers in the BST section are in the US, but you usually get your stuff within a week.

If you want to make a pointer (high powered or not), you'll simply need basic soldering skills and a sharp eye - some of the parts are quite small.

vk2fro

Didnt work - brought up an error:

"The following signature could not be displayed because its too darn hard to read on a dark grey background, or you used too big a font".

Kidding. Works fine :)