Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new DX lasers

I have a feeling it is one of those handheld ones that you see on eBay a lot.

Yeah, but at a DX price a 123A ebayser might actualy be worth what you paid for it. ;)

I also logged in and added my $.02, seconding the request for bare module assemblies, as they'd truly and honestly be OEM components, and as such, not subject to US Customs/FDA laser import regs.

With incomplete components, (at least it's my understanding) that in the U.S. you can import >5mW lasers without key-switches, delays, shutters, indicator light, or the dead-man ("OOPS!") drop switch/dongle thingy...

And even if I was wrong about that, I'm sure little "incomplete electronic component thingys" with wires hanging out of them would garner much less scrutiny than completed pointers.

Having a little diode to build a housing for and run off a supply would also be more fun and satisfying than just flicking a switch.

Y

yew.sir-name

i orderd one of them weeks ago (not from dx)... still waiting for it, they shipped the wrong one out. plebs.

and the reason why dx sells lasers cheap is a mystery, but at that price who cares. i may order one from dx to compare

by one of those you mean a 10mw cr2 greenie like that? if your gonna get both, do some beamshot comparisons and a general comparative review, it would be nice to see what the quality of a DX is right next to a different brand.

All I want to know is if there's any gain with a simple pot-mod.

This may very well be worth the $25!

Benm

This latest DX green laser looks interesting to me, i wonder if its capable of continous operation. The 'normal' pen-style runs into thermal problems in a minute or so, also when fed of a lab power supply.

Considering the heatsinked-like head and on/off switch instead of the push-to-fire button on most lasers, i'm inclined to think these are intended to work continously. If it's stable under such conditions, i think the $25 for 10mW might be a great deal... though more powerful models would be welcome :)

Things

AJ_Dual said:
All I want to know is if there's any gain with a simple pot-mod.

pot modding a DX laser is useless, they have built in output protection.

things said:
[quote author=AJ_Dual link=1187293075/0#9 date=1187540357]All I want to know is if there's any gain with a simple pot-mod.

pot modding a DX laser is useless, they have built in output protection.[/quote]

Photocell feedback? :-/

Benm

Perhaps these new lasers are different from the old DX range though - they sure look different ;)

It does come in exactly the same case though, but perhaps there is just one big laser-case-plant somewhere in china that supplies them to all laserpointer builders... you never know ;)

nes_ds

Has anyone here ordered one? I would love to see the insides, if anyone has pics.