Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New driver! Help!

This driver is now available as a GB here

I have contacted someone from a business in India about a custom led driver. They are working on samples for me now. If I left anything out please let me know!

I have specified I need a driver that has 4 modes:

Mode 1: Low - 440mA
Mode 2: Medium - 960mA
Mode 3: High - 1700mA
Mode 4: High strobe - 1700mA

I told him I need it to work with a normal on-off switch.

He also said the input range would be 2.5-5VDC. That works for an 18650 right?

And the cycle would be low-off-medium-off-high-off-strobe-off and then restart.

I also informed him that these drivers must very stable with NO spikes. He seamed very reassuring and made it sound like its not a problem.
Ill update this thread with updates.

Last edited:

rhd

Hey,

Cool endeavor. What you'll want to know is that (probably regardless of what he claims) you should still add a good capacitor on the output.

The other comment I'd make is that you might be well off to change the 1800mA high, to perhaps even 1750, or 1700.

I know that 445s can take 1800, but not always. I've destroyed a couple 445s by trying them at 1800, before finding one durable enough to take it. I think it sort of sucks to loose a diode by trying for 1800, when 1700 or so rarely (in my experience) kills a diode cold.

Cool thanks rhd!
one more question... He asked me for the data sheet of the LD so he can know the forward voltage of the LD. I told him "There is not any data sheets available. All I know is that the voltage needed is 4.13V at 580mA, 4.34V at 1080mA, and 4.5V at 1800mA" is this correct?
Hey,

Cool endeavor. What you'll want to know is that (probably regardless of what he claims) you should still add a good capacitor on the output.

The other comment I'd make is that you might be well off to change the 1800mA high, to perhaps even 1750, or 1700.

I know that 445s can take 1800, but not always. I've destroyed a couple 445s by trying them at 1800, before finding one durable enough to take it. I think it sort of sucks to loose a diode by trying for 1800, when 1700 or so rarely (in my experience) kills a diode cold.

Anselm, Can you elaborate more? looking at that chart it looks like the info I gave him the fV was too low... is that correct?

anselm

What's there to elaborate, that's a perfect little graph made from measurements
from our GREAT member and diode torturer IgorT.
It tells you current, forward voltage and output power (with a 405-G2 lens).
What more data do you need?:thinking:

Just give that picture to your indian guy. Even if YOU don't understand it, HE should!

I don't know. That graph confuses me. Did I tell the guy the the right voltage or am I way off?

rhd

You're way off - and I think there are two problems:

1) If he's asking you about voltage, I'm wondering whether he understands completely that this is mean to be a constant current driver? (He might understand this, yet still be asking, but you should clear that up).

2) To read that graph, follow the current numbers at the bottom until you find your current. 1800 isn't on here... which * SIDENOTE *, raises a good question - Do we have a better PIV curve for the 445s that covers a larger range of current? I haven't seen one.

However, lets got to 1200mA. The blue lines estimate the optical mW output. So - around 1300mW (left side of the graph). The red lines indicate Vf of the diode AT THAT CURRENT level. So, about 4.6V.

A very non-scientific extrapolation (using my fingers, on my monitor) suggest that you'll hit somewhere around 5V at 1800mA. I'm actually surprised - my gut would have said somewhere around 5.5V.

We really need a longer PIV curve.

They have just updated me that they are finalizing the design and it should be ready for production soon! It does scare me that they wont give me a price range though.

And the language barrier does NOT help at all.

You called India my god man that must be a horific phone bill when you get it.
I hope you get what you want as it seems most drivers if not made in the states come from china there must be a reason for that :whistle:

I'm wondering why you picked India ? can you share that ?

I didn't call them, I emailed them. They say it will be another 3-4 more days. Your a pro, is the info I gave them correct?
You called India my god man that must be a horific phone bill when you get it.
I hope you get what you want as it seems most drivers if not made in the states come from china there must be a reason for that :whistle:

I'm wondering why you picked India ? can you share that ?

rhd

No - that's been on their page for a long time now :(

new info I sent him

Mode 1: Low - 440mA at 4.02V
Mode 2: Medium - 960mA at 4.31V
Mode 3: High - 1700mA at 4.6V
Mode 4: High strobe - 1700mA at 4.6V