Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New DPSS Materials!

basically research into new DPSS crystals will net a higher conversion efficiency of pump diode power to output power

L4sers

MarioMaster said:
basically research into new DPSS crystals will net a higher conversion efficiency of pump diode power to output power

Wooot ;D

Ace82

Schrecken_Licht said:
Might mean more powerful (and eventually cheaper) blue lasers!

More power defiantly. Cheaper...with great time. It will still be considered "state of the art" technology.

And to think, I just bought the RPL blue! ;D Who knows how long till these get released, and the costs? Amazing to see technology consistently evolve. :)

Ace82

Razako said:
scientifically

Sorry to double post and for being off topic, but I used this word "scientifically" in a previous thread and another member called me out saying it isn't a real word. However, I did research it on dictionary.com but it called it an adverb and directed me to Britannica to of which said it had no results. :-?

daguin

Ace82 said:
[quote author=Razako link=1212028695/0#2 date=1212030053]scientifically

Sorry to double post and for being off topic, but I used this word "scientifically" in a previous thread and another member called me out saying it isn't a real word. However, I did research it on dictionary.com but it called it an adverb and directed me to Britannica to of which said it had no results. :-?
[/quote]

It's a word (an adverb) in my dictionary too.

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

'scientifically' not a word? Even if it wasn't in the dictionary, that wouldn't mean it wasn't a word or didn't have a meaning. In the real world (not your English teacher's view of it), there many words that are perfectly legitimate, but will never be in a dictionary since they're only used by a small group of people.

But, back on topic, some new higher efficiency crytals would be great, maybe make those lower efficiency crystals cheaper (maybe even affordale for me!) ;D

Ace82

rkcstr said:
some new higher efficiency crytals would be great, maybe make those lower efficiency crystals cheaper (maybe even affordale for me!)  ;D

I would think that the current crystals would be obsolete, therefore probably removed from production. I imagine that the current blue lasers would clear out for ¾ or maybe even ½ the cost they are now, but only a lucky few would get them. As for the new ones, I can only imagine that they will be super expensive at first, then after a year or so drop to more or less what blue lasers are now.

VW

Ace82 said:
[quote author=Schrecken_Licht link=1212028695/0#5 date=1212031578]Might mean more powerful (and eventually cheaper) blue lasers!

More power defiantly.  Cheaper...with great time.  It will still be considered "state of the art" technology.

And to think, I just bought the RPL blue!  ;D  Who knows how long till these get released, and the costs?  Amazing to see technology consistently evolve.  :)  [/quote]
Indeed, terrible news for us who just bought high power blue's, but great news all round...

Ace82

Razako said:
Eventually I see blue dpss lasers going the way of HeNe lasers.
Blue laser diodes already exist and all they need to do is find a way to make them cheaper which will surely happen if there is a demand for them to be mass produced.
http://www.nichia.com/product/laser-main.html

I've check that site before.  I imagine those diodes are around  $5,000 starting.  I don't see why there would be a significant demand for them to be massed produced, unless they develop a more efficient  method of building them were the market would be interested first.  Until then, we will live with DPSS lasers.  (and blu-ray) :)