Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New DIY Dorcy Model and Circuit Board

So I will start off by saying I found this Dorcy 1Watt LED Flashlight and Walmart for $10! I have tried looking the model up on the Dorcy site but havnt found a match. It looks a little bit like a Dory Jr. but not exactly. Anyways I fell in love with it and really want to do my DIY with the Stonetek.com Sony 16x Red Burner Diode, only thing is will it work. I opened her up to examine her in-sides and its a very simple design even the circuit board very simple layout with extra unfilled spaces to work with I think? The circuit board is also labled with pos and neg holes. It all seems as if you would just remove the simple led that came on it already and add a few extras to the circuit board, this whole thing would work. This also provides very much space I must add. I went ahead and removed the bubble shaped lense that was inserted in the tip on the flashlight that adjust the beam. All I did was got a hammer and screw driver and tapped it out, its just wedged or squeezed into place. I went to Home Depot and found some Fender Flat Washers that fit Perfectly into the tip or adjuster piece of the flashlight.I got a pack of 6 or 8 or 8 o them for $0.98! I thought it was so great so theres perfect area for a heat sink and a place holder for the laser module! I attached pictures to this thread! Please give me your feedback on what you know, how I can make this work, and any other knowledge you can provide to help me out! Thank You!
P.S. Im ned to this forum and I read it about everyday just like you guys! Keep up the good work and I look forward to being a more in depth member soon!

- HZolly345

Attachments

• laser_host_002.jpg
    laser_host_002.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 222

Oh yes I almost forgot to add that this Dorcy runs off of 3x AAA's! ;)

Attachments

• laser_host_004.jpg
    laser_host_004.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 210
The inside of the battery sleeve and the under-side of the circuit board

Attachments

• laser_host_008.jpg
    laser_host_008.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 261
Space in the focusing piece

Attachments

• laser_host_010.jpg
    laser_host_010.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 178
The washers to be used as the heatsink in the focusing piece

Attachments

• laser_host_012.jpg
    laser_host_012.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 189
The bubble raised lense I removed

Attachments

• laser_host_009.jpg
    laser_host_009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 201
The on/off switch on this sexy thing!

Attachments

• laser_host_003.jpg
    laser_host_003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 191
another view point of the Flashlight

Attachments

• laser_host_001.jpg
    laser_host_001.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 235
This model Dorcy is pretty much the same exact size as the Dorcy Jr., i just thought you should know this for reference.

I would go the cut down LM317 route (see picture) If you unsolder the resistors and the LED, you can attach it directly to the board then run 2 wires to the module which will contain the capacitor and the reverse diode. For more info on the driver see here.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197651171

Note! you will not need to put a potentiometer in this, just go for 2 10ohm resistors which will fit across the LM317 where my picture just shows the one resistor.

Hope that helps.
Regards rog8811

*Edit... I didn't ask what batteries will fit this I am assuming it will take 2 X RCR123a's

Attachments

• lm317_space_save_002.jpg
    lm317_space_save_002.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 226
Ok I will test for you! I just ordered the batteries. Ok a quick question, if I were to use all 3 AAA's like it is now, what would I need to add to the board so that It could run a blu-ray or Violate laser diode? If im not mistaken I think that I read on another post that violate diodes dont use much input voltage to run, but i could be completely wrong!