Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New build, quick question regarding C6/C8 host

Hi guys,

New to the forum, I'm building a new laser soon w/ the C6 cree host, but instead of using 2x CR123A batteries I was thinking of purchasing an extension host to support 2x 18650.

Now I found a nice cheap one, but it's for a C8 host, does anyone know the exact specs between the C6/C8? I checked and the body diameter is the same, just not sure if the threading etc. is the same.

There is another extension tube from survivallaser, but $20 + shipping is not worth it for me. Looks good though!

Setup I'll be using is >

- C6 host + copper heatsink
- x-drive 1.5A @ 8.4V input
- M140 445nm (3 element glass)
- some goodies ;)

Side note, anyone have pictures of there x-drive in a c6 w/o x-blank?

Thanks!

IsaacT

I HIGHLY recommend going to mohgasm.com and getting the round linear driver. It will come preset and all you have to do is press it into the pill. There is so little space in the C6 builds that it is very difficult with a full X-Drive(the rectangular one). Also while you are there check out his JAD kits. May be worth it for you.

Hope that helps,
Isaac

PS-not sure but I think the two are the same threading.

I HIGHLY recommend going to mohgasm.com and getting the round linear driver. It will come preset and all you have to do is press it into the pill. There is so little space in the C6 builds that it is very difficult with a full X-Drive(the rectangular one). Also while you are there check out his JAD kits. May be worth it for you.

Hope that helps,
Isaac

PS-not sure but I think the two are the same threading.

Thanks for the reply! I actually purchased everything already lol, but the x-drive should work good! It's very small and requires no heatsinking. I guess I'll just use the x-blank and solder it together with the x-drive. The overall height should be about the same as a normal linear w/ heatsinking as far as my understanding.

IsaacT

You will probably need to drill through the driver pill to have enough space for the driver then. Not too hard but takes some time even with a decent dremel. Any better tools and you are golden though. While the X-Drive is small it is still big enough that combined with the diode module will make you have to get creative.

You will probably need to drill through the driver pill to have enough space for the driver then. Not too hard but takes some time even with a decent dremel. Any better tools and you are golden though. While the X-Drive is small it is still big enough that combined with the diode module will make you have to get creative.

Hmm, yeah I'll think of something, I thought there would be enough room inside the pill. I searched around but couldn't find the answer.. Do you know the height of the x-driver v6? I'm sure it's about the same as a typical linear round board.

IsaacT

It is 15.4mm long. C6 Pill has a diameter of 17mm, but X-Drive V6 also has a width of 10.3mm, and so at the edges the X-Drive will be too big to fit. Usually the drivers you see being thermal glued into pills are microboosts and flexdrives because of how small they are.

The only time I ever managed to fit an X-Drive into a C6 laser, it pushed the diode module out of the front of the laser about 3-4mm. Didn't look terrible but since it was a 445nm, it reduced heatsinking fairly dramatically and so i ended up ordering a different host and transplanting the guts of the laser over. Now the original host is a decent powered red laser for my girlfriend.

It is 15.4mm long. C6 Pill has a diameter of 17mm, but X-Drive V6 also has a width of 10.3mm, and so at the edges the X-Drive will be too big to fit. Usually the drivers you see being thermal glued into pills are microboosts and flexdrives because of how small they are.

The only time I ever managed to fit an X-Drive into a C6 laser, it pushed the diode module out of the front of the laser about 3-4mm. Didn't look terrible but since it was a 445nm, it reduced heatsinking fairly dramatically and so i ended up ordering a different host and transplanting the guts of the laser over. Now the original host is a decent powered red laser for my girlfriend.

Ahh I see, I might just cut a slit in the pill and secure the driver down vertically instead of flat, it should leave enough room for the diode and the contact board. BTW do you know of any places to buy those round contact boards? I cannot find any x-blanks in-stock.

Thanks again for the help! Glad I have a dremel handy haha.