Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 400mw Handheld Green Laser

I had some time over the holidays and decided to make a green laser. I wanted a reasonably powerful green laser without spending thousands, so I decided to make one. I got a module from o-like.com, the 400 - 450 mw, and I made sure to get the collimation and driver with it. There is an IR filter on the end of the module. The module arrived quickly, was well packed, and nothing was missing. I went over to my shop and machined a host and heatsink. I clear anodized them and brought the parts home for assembly. There is a main power switch in the tailcap, an on/off clicky. The button switch near the head can either be momentary, or if pressed firmly, stay on until pressed again. A blue LED above the button switch indicates main power switch is on. The completed laser has plenty of power, one of the photos shows a 541mw peak, it runs at around 420mw. It uses 1 x 18650 lithium battery. Focus is adjustable by turning the shroud.

Attachments

• Dec3108D200_005_1.jpg
    Dec3108D200_005_1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 270

Here is a shot of the laser and battery.

Attachments

• Dec3108D200_007_3.jpg
    Dec3108D200_007_3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,279
The IR filter.

Attachments

• Dec3108D200_006_2.jpg
    Dec3108D200_006_2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 512
The head.

Attachments

• Dec3108D200_008_4.jpg
    Dec3108D200_008_4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 333
Here is a beamshot.

Attachments

• Dec3108D200_015_1.jpg
    Dec3108D200_015_1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 700
god dang... nice... you have some spair time....

id think u could burn pretty much anything with that...

JLSE

Nice! is that from scratch? We need details!!!:)

wannaburn - Not quite from scratch. I used a module and driver from o-like, rather than trying to find and match crystals and a driver diode. This o-like module is the first Chinese green laser I have encountered that was actually to spec and came with an IR filter. I wanted my laser to have 200mw, so with my experience with Chinese greens, I figured that I better buy the biggest module and hope it gives half power. Well, this module has its rated power, so my laser came out great. One thing I should mention is divergence. The more expensive handhelds that are known to be high quality (nova, opto, laserglow, etc.), have better beam specs. This laser has a beam spot size of about 3/4" at about 40 feet, so not very tight. However, I could add a beam expander to it that would attach to the shroud, doing this might allow some long range baloon popping. It does pop baloons no problem across the room. By using the o-like module, all I had to do was machine a heatsink for the module, and a battery compartment, the shroud around the IR filter, a trim ring, and a brass cap for the firing button.

cyparagon - Costs of this build are as follows :

O-like.com - 400-450mw green laser module $528.00 (USD)
O-like.com - Collimation, IR filter, and Driver $ 15.00 (USD)
Metal - Aluminum stock for machining $ 10.00 (USD) approx
Other - Clicky switch, screws, etc. $ 2.00 (USD) approx

(note - I already had some 18650 batteries and a charger from DX)

TOTAL COST (MONEY) $555.00 (USD)

Time - To machine and anodize parts 4.5 hours
- To assemble, fit, and test 1.5 hours

TOTAL COST (TIME) 6.0 hours

"Generic RPL" - that's a neat name for it ! :) It does have power, but with divergence, a real RPL will have better beam specs. However, I am happy with this build, I got a green burner with a very visible beam, even with normal room lighting. I should point out that goggles are a must at this power level !!! This is dazzling bright to begin with, the spot on a white wall at 12 feet is uncomfortable to look at, goggles absolutely required !!! The beam is spectacular (like any powerful green) when used as a star pointer (no aircraft around!!!) or used in fog or a snowstorm.

For the cost in money and time, I think that I did well on this project. If you have access to a lathe, these modules from o-like are worth considering. I will probably get a 120 - 150mw o-like module to make a pointer style green for my laser collection.

Note that if you order one of these modules from o-like, you will NOT get the IR filter unless you order the collimation and driver upgrade for $15.00 extra. The IR filter is attached to the collimation assembly

Happy New Year to All !!!

That's not too bad. I calculate that as ~1.7mRad which isn't too far from their <1.5mRad claim.

JLSE

Very cool, you could also consider changing out the existing optics, I have some in mind that may give you a better beam ;)

What type pump is used for that module? And is the beam square-ish?  If you swap the expander and collimator to that of a good (not knock off) leadlight, it will tighten the beam down to very thin, that was the approach I used for my 300mW labby. With the original DX optics I had tried, yeilded a poor quality beam, and went the leadlight route, rather than additional power hungry optics.

Either way, thats a nice power, look forward to additionl mods :)

Ace82

Nice build there! Isn't it true that the more powerful the laser the worse the divergence? And it's easy to make a real RPL focusable by just turning the "heat sink" or head.

JLSE

Brett Miller said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1230788830/0#12 date=1230833509]
What type pump is used for that module?

According to the link for the module in Suzie's store it's a 2W pump:

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=912

...however, I don't know what package type it is.  That's the first thing I was wondering too.

-Brett[/quote]

Most likely C-mount, I dont think 9mm diodes come in 2w, or at least not from common suppliers. I would sure be interested in the pump medium source for those modules :eek:

I also wonder if the diodes are being run lax, or if the full 2w is being used.

@Bill,  did you measure its current consumption? :)