Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 22x LG dvd-burner, good laser diode?

Hi everyone,
I was just on Newegg.com and they have a new LG dvd-burner drive out that smokes at 22x.
newegg(dot)com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144
Anybody know anything about the diode in it?

Kenom

I wouldn't be too sure that there's going to be an increase in power or not but it's worth a try.

Well, I just ordered it so I guess I'll give it a try and let you all know if it's any good. I don't have a laser power output meter or anything so I'm not sure how informative I'll be. Anybody know how to graph the diode's power by any chance?

roSSco

Gotta have a power meter to graph the power. I think one of the main things to worry about is the diode case type. It needs to be a 5.6mm. ;)

is there a place to get a module that i can put a 9mm can in.

chido

Hehe, this will be written down on laser history as the first laser diode to be extracted form a 22x burner. ;D
I think it'll just be an open can diode a little bit more powerful. Remember that pioneer 18x and 20x burners use the same diode. So there might not be a huge difference in power between a 20x and this drive. But who knows? ::)

My guess is its the same diode.. just fed a little more current. Considering how tough these diodes are, I can't really imagine them needing a new diode for such a small jump in speed. They were probably waiting on better DVD media to release the drive.

Main thing I REALLY doubt is that they push the diodes to their limit like we do.. which leaves them plenty of room to step up the current.

phenol

As far as I noticed, the DL burning speed has also been increased - from 10x in the preceding 20x model to 16x in this one.
The release of this drive somewhat coincides with the mass production accession of Sharp's GH16P40A8C 400mW, which, unfortunately, is the flat package type.

Zom-B

I think they will use the same diode as in the 20x because the 16x and 18x have the same diode, and for the 20x LG used a long open can diode. They don't make diodes exactly to the speed of the burner for the diodes cover a range of burning speeds. Seeing that there are even 20x burners with weak diodes (nec, lite-on, to name a few) I expect the long open cans to appear even in early 24x burners.

Though, I'm burning to know if I'm right :)

well they can't push the diodes to there limit because it has to be on for around 5min.

jamilm9 said:
well they can't push the diodes to there limit because it has to be on for around 5min.

what's more, they're pulsed... correct me if I'm wrong, but they have no need for CW in a DVD drive (I'm guessing that would burn a DVD filled with nothing but 1's), so they can get a lot more power out of the diodes, for longer, by pulsing them (which is necessary anyway)

chido

They can't push the diodes to their limits. If that was the case then we wouldn't be able to get more juice out of them. If they need a diode that outputs 130mW then most of them will be made to output 200mW+ in case one of the diodes comes out weak, that way the weak diode would still be within the 130mW range.