Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Neje laser engraver safety

Hi everyone,
I recently bought (from China) a Neje laser "engraver".
In the manual it's written that the laser it's a 405nm, 1000mw.

My concerns is that the goggles that came in the box are not very protective, they look very cheap. They are black. If I put them on then it gets very very dark and when I look at the laser pointing on the wood I can see clearly the dot, but very very dim.
Do you think I should trust the goggles? What are the risks if I accidentally look at the dot while engraving on maple wood?

Thank you all!

Sta

There is not much danger in looking at the dot, as long as you have the goggles on. Even cheap goggles will protect you from eye damage from the dot only. As long as you don't look into the beam (which is pretty much impossible when engraving) you'll be fine with those cheap goggles.

Make sure that the module is in there tightly, I've got the same model and mine was fine but I've heard that some times the bolts are loose or even not included (that's chinese QC for you). The last thing you'd want is for the laser module to fall out while engraving and possibly catching someone's eye, it's always worth a check.