Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

needed a high current fast driver circuit for 532 nm green laser

hi

i need a driving circuit for 500mW green laser pointer to run in pulsed mode as high as 20 Mhz. using some of the circuits found on Pulse Circuits for Infrared LEDs and Visible Diode Lasers. i was able to get as high as 500mA current. (used a signal generator instead). but apparently not good enough for this 500mW laser which seems to consume around 2A.

can anybody help and suggest some solutions please?

HIMNL9

Green lasers are DPSS units, and have "dead times" (don't know how to call them better) delays in turning on cycles ..... they cannot be pulsed so quickly in an efficent way ..... you can probably get them working at 20 or 30 KHz without problems, but i doubt you can push them til 20MHz and get a good pulsed output, especially from pointers (probably with a pro labby unit with an AOC or active qswitch this can be done, for the output beam, but not from the driver).

If it was a diode, it's a totally different thing, but not with DPSS pointers, sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. i appreciate that. i was able to detect optical response till 300kHz with my current system, and was not able to go higher that might be because of the reason you mentioned. however my ultimate goal is get an around 30ns pulse (repetition should not very high) to evaluate its number of photons. do you think it would be possible to do that with this laser pointer module?

The only way you can get speeds that high with a Nd-based laser is with an AOM.

Besides - it would be easier to calculate the number of photons.

For a 30nS pulse at 500mW and 532nm... Mr. Boltzmann tells me it is about 40 billion photons.

thank you guys. i just needed a 5000 photons per 30ns pulse illumination source to be get it registered on the CCD camera.

and your feedbacks save me a lot work i guess.