Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need your help. Making a new driver tutorial video.

gksudo

Hi all.

I noticed my (very old) video of "how to build a laser diode driver" was passed around a bit here on the forums.

I thank you for finding the video useful. The only thing is, I feel the video wasn't descriptive enough. I was 17 when I made it and I didn't know how to cover all the things needed at the time.

Now after 3 years I've decided to come back to lasers and remake my video.

The whole reason I did it was because there was no other video like it at the time, so I tried to make one. I'm at least thankful it turned out ok enough to be mentioned, though I'll admit it wasn't very good, and I mean to fix that. I didn't mention what kind of diodes it worked on or anything.. I regret that as well.

This time I have a more professional camcorder, knowledge, and a more advanced approach to building things and editing video. I am in the process of re-making the video, a grand video of start-to-finish laser making. So far I've recorded all steps taken and have edited them with many captions. Currently, I'm waiting for my diode to arrive, so only the driver building has been filmed/edited.

I plan on showing everything there is to know in the video. I plan on covering everything one needs to know to make such a driver.

Can you help by telling me some important info to include in this video?

Here's what I have so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KyIP9RiNA

With your help, I am certain the video will cover everything needed to know to get started. I will have credits at the end for information contributors, popular sellers from the forums to buy parts, as well as links to all the information required for the viewers. I wish to include all the parts sellers here on LPF with many links to those people's threads for parts.

The old video happens to be my most viewed video of all time, with 466,232 views and 582 comments(on my youtube account). It seems to be a very important video to many. I feel bad about not making it more descriptive.

Here are a few details I shall include in this fixed current driver:[/COLOR]

Diode hook-up safety

a chart of 15 resistor values showing 15 different mA output variations

More detailed hookup diagrams

My own "picture-schematic" using fixed resistor.

LPF Member Mentioned Content List:

cc6726
Formula for finding LM317 resistor

ShortyInCanada
Inclusion of safety precautions and generalised awareness of High Powered laser danger.

Please post the details you'd like to see put into the video. As of now, I have the building/filming section mostly done. All I need now is important information for how to use the driver.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

cc6726

1.25v / 1000ma = .01

.01 X 1000 = 1.25ohm

maybe have something on that, in case some1 is using like 800mw diode or something idk

but great job man... im pretty noob at laser making but great vid, better than most of the others... (kipkay)

gksudo

1.25v / 1000ma = .01

.01 X 1000 = 1.25ohm

maybe have something on that, in case some1 is using like 800mw diode or something idk

but great job man... im pretty noob at laser making but great vid, better than most of the others... (kipkay)

Thanks for the response! Was wondering when I'd get one. :D

But yeah. I planned on putting many different ranges in the description showing different resistor amounts and how many mA you get from it.

Can't view most of the common "media" sites here from work so I can't see your efforts.

Have you considered the implications of demonstrating the SAFETY features required. I know this is a common one for beating to death but if just one young kid goes through all you show without getting proper safety glasses or whatnot and does something stupid...well you know how it would go.
Perhaps just a short bit showing everything at the beginning and when needed later on the "reminder" that it is time to be using it.

Maybe you have it though...I wish I could see those sites.

gksudo

Can't view most of the common "media" sites here from work so I can't see your efforts.

Have you considered the implications of demonstrating the SAFETY features required. I know this is a common one for beating to death but if just one young kid goes through all you show without getting proper safety glasses or whatnot and does something stupid...well you know how it would go.
Perhaps just a short bit showing everything at the beginning and when needed later on the "reminder" that it is time to be using it.

Maybe you have it though...I wish I could see those sites.

Wonderful plan!

No so far I only have the driver making and parts requirement. I can provide a direct http link of the video from my personal server. Private message coming your way.

But yeah. I think that should be included definitely!
hmm. I could include the laser burning something behind dark sunglasses, summaries of the forum's "accident" stories, as well as include information from the safety stickies here.

I'll keep a checklist both on my computer, and my first post in the thread. Though give me a few moments to put that together.

The completed video will be nothing short of 1080p ;)

cc6726

damn man how did you end up with negative rep...
this video will be pretty helpfull and i know ill be using it in the near future, when my parts arrive

gksudo

damn man how did you end up with negative rep...
this video will be pretty helpfull and i know ill be using it in the near future, when my parts arrive

Glad you enjoyed!

View my rep page to see why.

Are you new to lasers? what would you like to see in this video?