Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need to make a "Tough as nails" egg

My extended family has a little tradition that they have been doing for 50+ years, it is a little contest that they do every Easter. We take a hard boiled egg, we do whatever we want to it (like coat it in something) and we tap each other's eggs with our egg. The last egg that doesn't get cracked wins. The egg has to be considered edible, so unfortunately we can't use a bunch of nasty chemicals for this one. BTW, there is money involved, everybody has to put in $5! Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

Edit: The coating has to be a max of 1/8" thick.

Lorgar

Dip it in wax to prtect the insides and then give it a few coats of quick set epoxy.
The wax will potect the egg from the epoxy. If you can get the epoxy off later that is

JLSE

styropyro said:
My extended family has a little tradition that they have been doing for 50+ years, it is a little contest that they do every Easter. We take a hard boiled egg, we do whatever we want to it (like coat it in something) and we tap each other's eggs with our egg. The last egg that doesn't get cracked wins. The egg has to be considered edible, so unfortunately we can't use a bunch of nasty chemicals for this one. BTW, there is money involved, everybody has to put in $5! Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

If you have ever heard of the trick of getting an egg through the mouth of a soda bottle, this may be a trick for you. Place a raw or boiled egg in vinigar, i think its an hour or so. The egg becomes rubbery. It may taste like crap, but their are no reproductive toxins as you would get from any epoxy. :eek:

cheers

I have two eggs sitting in vinegar right now, I hoping to think of what to do with them after that. Oh yeah, The coating can be a maximum of 1/8" thick, I'll edit that into my first post.

Edit: I was thinking about putting small, sharp hard things on the egg so it could penetrate the other eggs. What edible hard substance could be used for this? I have some alum crystals but those are too brittle, any ideas?

JLSE

You should get a glass bottle and pop one of the eggs in there, see what they think of that coating! ;)

wannaburn said:
You should get a glass bottle and pop one of the eggs in there, see what they think of that coating! ;)
I think that is a little bit more than 1/8" ;D

JLSE

Just for a gag, then you can break out the other egg...

apparently, as said above vinegar makes the egg rubbery

I think for a laugh you should get a rotten egg and stand back as someone smashes it

The vinegar took too long, so I just threw a new hard boiled egg in some hydrochloric acid to see what the one in vinegar would turn out. to be It did become like rubber, and it took a 10 foot fall before it busted, but I don't think I will be busting other people's eggs with it!

melt sugar slowly to form spikes then ta da a spiky egg
with edible spikes(i suspect sugar is stronger than egg shell

rkcstr

Could try coating in white glue (ie Elmers), it's non-toxic (little kids actually find it tasty) and you can dab it on rather thickly which could add a nice strong protective layer.

hey my family would do the same thing, but mainly when i was younger.
only a few months ago we tried the vinigar thing at school and if you do it long enough you can guarentee your egg will break lol. it completely removes the shell and only leaves the extremely thin and delecate membrane. you have to treat it like your trying carry a balloon with needles, or keeping a bubble from popping, it becomes very delicate.

I reckon hard boiling then electrical tape to hold it together- easter is over now anyway tho...

i say you should dissolve some sugar and then coat it COMPLETELY with the "liquid" sugar, then before it dries, add some sugar grains to it (roll it on a table full of sugar or sth else..), now u got a caramel-coated spiky egg :D

I should have tried the spiky sugar egg, but instead of doing the egg contest I (attempted) to help my cousin build an open can laser while the rest of the family battled with eggs. He bought a kit off ebay, it had a copy of Daedal's circuit in it, but it came with a 50K ohm pot instead of a 100ohm pot, so we just used a resistor. But when we tried to power up the diode it wouldn't work, I think he handled it too much before he brought it to me ;D H e wasn't happy that his diode was broken, bu now he has a DX200 red on the way, and some goggles too :cool: