Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some help!

jwlong

Hi everyone,

I've been perusing the forums for a while but am truly a novice when it comes to these things.

I'm looking to create a product that creates a visible crossing of too beams in the air--essentially, two beams that would make an X.

The problem of course is that I'd like it to be visible in daylight from ~70 feet away. Is this something that's viable with the types of lasers available today, and if so, what would I need to use to create that effect?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

jwlong

Ideally yes, though I know that makes this difficult. Is there anything on the green/blue end of the spectrum that might work?

Alternatively, I'd be open to figuring out ways for the beams to be visible, but the complication is that I need the area the beams are passing through to be see-through, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

diachi

Ideally yes, though I know that makes this difficult. Is there anything on the green/blue end of the spectrum that might work?

Alternatively, I'd be open to figuring out ways for the beams to be visible, but the complication is that I need the area the beams are passing through to be see-through, if that makes sense.

Whats your budget like?

It's not going to happen under those conditions really... Even if you could find something powerful enough (it'd probably cost you at least 6 figures), it'd be incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:

jwlong

Ha! Yeah, that's definitely not practical for what we're trying to do.

It sounds like we'll have to figure out another solution :\.

Thanks for your thoughts though, I appreciate it!

I actually have seen a setup that does what you describe a couple of years back @ Siggraph. It was built by a team at the University of Tokyo IIRC. Found a video on YouTube: