Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some help picking a diode to burn black paint

Peche

Hello to everyone, i'm looking for advice concerning the selection of a diode.

I want to make isolation routing for small PCBs primarily for prototypes. My plan is to paint the copper with black paint then burn some of the paint away with a laser to make the routes and pads and then etch the board. This is mainly for SMD components so i don't want to make the holes with the laser, if i have to use any through hole element or some connector i don't mind drilling the holes manually.

Something like this ( Making PCB's with a diodelaser ) in the second page OP says that he achived this first with a fibercoupled 9W@975nm IR-diode and last with a 2W@445nm diode focussed with one of the common collimators. I'm interested in something similar to the second option.

In this forum i have found similar questions asked before ( http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/check-my-cnc-etcher-setup-92975.html )( http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/help-finding-right-ld-83752.html ) and they used or suggested a 405nm or 445nm from DTR's laser shop. So i was deciding between this two diodes (900mW 405nm BDR 209 Blu Ray Copper Laser Module w Boost Driver G 2 Glass Lens | eBay) (2W Copper 445nm M140 Blue Laser Module w x Drive 405 G 2 Glass Lens | eBay) i know they are a little cheaper directly from DTR's store but the ebay links have more info.

The problem is that i can't tell which one is better for this :undecided: , the 2W@445nm diode has better power output but i have read that they are hard to focus. In the other hand i read that the 900mW@405nm can be focused in a smaller dot and that the surface power density that you can get is better.

Finally the question is, someone have done something similar or knows which diode is better suited for the job? or anyone knows of a better alternative?. Also sorry for the long post or any mistake in my english i tried to be as specific as possible.

Go with the diode that will give you the most round dot because then you will not have to take that into account as you map your board. If you have a rectangular beam shape that can be a real bother during layout and doing fine traces.

APEX1

Go with the diode that will give you the most round dot because then you will not have to take that into account as you map your board. If you have a rectangular beam shape that can be a real bother during layout and doing fine traces.

This is true to a point lol but if its focused correctly it'll be fine.. I would go with a single mode diode for this.. :beer:

Good point. Well sure there are corrective lenses but just didn't know if they want to bother with that.

Peche

Thank you all for your answers.

Everyone seems to agree that the 405nm diode is the best option so far. I have to wait till monday to make the order from my job so i'd love to hear more people agreeing with this.
Also which safety goggles will be best for the the 900mW@405nm diode? i've seen several on ebay but i'm not sure if i can trust them.

Peche

Please forget my question about the safety goggles, i looked it up myself in the forum and it has been stated several times that cheap safety glasses from ebay shouldn't be trusted :tsk:
I will play safe and buy an Eagle Pair from Survival Laser instead.