Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some help from some HV enthusiasts

Okay, so here's my dilemma, I need to get 5200 Volts(RMS) at 0.5 amp from(and preferably) a 110V socket or 220V mains. A voltage multiplier type circuit probably won't work for my application so my only option is to use a transformer. This is going to be used to drive the plate of a vacuum tube. A "proper" plate transformer is prohibitively expensive(Close to $900) so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Are you sure this won't exceed your house's max current draw and blow some breakers/fuses?

Sounds like an awful lot of current for that voltage... Wouldn't that be 2600W? Isn't that equivalent to a 20A draw on 120V? Aren't most houses wired for 15A max?

Again that sounds like an awful lot of current given that voltage.

I never took that into consideration :D I guess I'm gonna be forced to power it off 220VAC...

diachi

digital_blue said:
I never took that into consideration :D I guess I'm gonna be forced to power it off 220VAC...

You sound so devastated to have to do that ::)

I don't like dealing with 220VAC since most of my design runs on 110... Also, the size of the components might be larger than I want to deal with...

diachi

digital_blue said:
I don't like dealing with 220VAC since most of my design runs on 110... Also, the size of the components might be larger than I want to deal with...

Fair enough :)

I know that UK ring mains are fused up to 30A - also, if you have an electric oven plug that has a special socket, you can probably get enough current out of one of those. I don't know what voltage it will be at, though - depends on your region. That's an awful lot of energy though - nearly as much as my family's computers drain ;D (Several Pentium 4 computers, some dual/quad cores, about one laptop per person, and a mini home server, soon to be 2)

I would hate to be paying your power bill...

I somehow doubt he'll be running whatever it is he's making day-and-night all year long.

diachi

charlie bruce said:
I know that UK ring mains are fused up to 30A - also, if you have an electric oven plug that has a special socket, you can probably get enough current out of one of those. I don't know what voltage it will be at, though - depends on your region. That's an awful lot of energy though - nearly as much as my family's computers drain ;D (Several Pentium 4 computers, some dual/quad cores, about one laptop per person, and a mini home server, soon to be 2)

I would hate to be paying your power bill...

Hmmm , I really want to check the socket wiring in my house now,I know I can get 30A off of the main breaker, but I don't know what the actual wiring can take. It would be easier just to add a 32A line directly to my room anyway, as there is a cable going to the 40A breaker running in the roof anyway :)

As for power bills, it wouldn't cost that much actually, same misconception about argon lasers and running cost !

-Adam

Razako

Electricity is usually like 10 cents per KW hour. Basically you would need to leave your big scary 10kw argon on for an entire hour just to burn $1 in energy.