Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some argon help!!

Ok so I have another argon laser here, it's a single line 488nm rated at 30mW (JDSU 2114-30SLQT).

The PSU I am using is a JDSU 2114P-40MLA (seen here: http://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/07/90/122e_1_b.JPG )

I'm trying to fire this thing up for the first time, and I'm getting the dreaded "tick tick tick tick" with a nice flash of blue light corresponding with each tick. It may be high pressure or something of that nature, but I'm trying to rule out the PSU, as I haven't tested it on a working laser.

SOO My first question is: what pins do I need to connect on the PSU to get the laser going? Right now all I have jumpered is the interlock. I'm sure I should connect something else to get it going. Also, SAMS FAQ says that some of the 'light mode' sensors can be bad, causing the PSU to not put enough current into the tube. So, what should I connect to just have the laser at an idle? I have the data sheet for the PSU but the way they explain the pinout is very confusing, so I figured I would ask someone who's actually done it.

Second: Right now I dont have a fan for this laser. My plan was to fire it up for a few seconds just to make sure it was working. So is it bad to allow the tube to try to ignite itself without the fan? I guess the coil still heats up, but i'm sure the coil gets way hotter when the thing is actually lasing vs when it's just trying to start.

Finally, any additional tips or experience with this would be awesome. Like I said, the tube is putting out flashes of light when the starter coil clicks, but it isn't pulses of laser light, its just bright blue light. The tube isn't sustaining itself, but then again I have no idea if I'm feeding it current either, due to the whole 'jumper pins on the PSU' thing.

I am lucky as I have a remote that goes to it, but I also have the manual for these power supplies too and it is not much more then 1 or 2 switches, one resistor, and a 1K ohm pot. :)

* Connect pins 1 and 3 to complete interlock.

Pin 1 o-----o Pin 3 (Interlock)

* Connect pin 13 (+15 VDC) to pins 2 (Enable) and pin 4 (Run - add a SPDT switch if you want idle). (The keyswitch on the power supply turns the discharge on and off so a switch for Enable really isn't necessary but can be added if desired.)

(+15 VDC) Pin 13 o---+-----o Pin 2 (Enable)
|
| Idle/Run
(Run) +-----o
\
o---o Pin 4 (Idle/Run)

(Idle) +---o
_|_
-

* Create your voltage reference; From pin 13 (+15 VDC), add a 1.5K resistor in series with a 1K pot to any of the 0 V pins: 10, 11, 14, 20, 21, 22, or 24. (Note: These pins are NOT earth ground, they are tied to earth through a 1M resistance! Real ground is pin 25.) This will allow 12 A in Current Mode or 60 mW in Light Mode which is perfect for those little single line heads. A total resistance between 1K and 10K should be fine if you don't have a 1K pot.

* Connect the wiper of the pot to one half of the DPDT switch set up so it will put the output on pin 7 (light) or pin 6 (current).

* Put the center of the other half of a DPDT switch to pin 5 (light/current). Connecting Pin 13 (+15 VDC) selects light mode, pins 10, 11, 14, 20, 21, 22, or 24 (0 V) selects current mode.

* Set it up so that when pot is tied to pin 7 through the switch, it also applies +15 VDC to pin 5.

1K 1.5K
Pin 13 o---+------/\/\--------/\/\/\----+
(+15 VDC) | CW <- ^ _|_
| | -
| |
+---o | o----o Pin 7 (Light Mode)
\ | /
o---o Pin 5 +----o DPDT Current/Light Mode Select
(Current/Light)
+---o o----o Pin 6 (Current Mode)
_|_
-

Note: Pins 10, 11, 14, 20, 21, 22, and 24 are _|_
-

H

^I built my own with precisely this configuration and it works perfectly.