Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEED REPLACEMENT IR DIODE FOR DX GREEN...

I have a DX green 50mW
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12595

last night the damn diode blows after 15sec of use (cold start)

does anyone know what diode you can use to replace the original with. maybe a higher output than OEM??

sku_12595_1.jpg

jayrob

I have some of those cool little hosts, they can be fit with the 0-like green modules. The stock module/heatsink unscrews I believe. Or it is pressed in and can be 'tapped' out from the tail. I forget.

But you can replace the module. Worst case scenario, is you would need a new heatsink...
Jay

i really wanted to just replace the diode as i have just gotten the ir filter aligned on top

You could get a 500mW pump diode from snoctony.. but in order to link you to the correct page, I need to know if it is a 5.6mm or 9mm diode...

mine is just a regular 5.6mm diode (same size as the PHR and LPC diodes). it is pressed into the head pretty deep, but the optic setup can be easily removed as an assembly, press out the diode, and replace.
sounds easy right. :-?

thanks freak. i think that stonetek has some of the 808nm diodes, but they are only 200mW. do you think that is enough power to get the same (or higher) output from the laser??? i wonder what power rating the diode that was originally in it was rated at??? any idea anyone??

dont even bother replacing the diode. It will cost as much as a new laser would, plus you have to deal with aligning everything perfectly again for max power.

I've worked on a lot of DPSS lasers, and trust me when I say it's not worth trying to replace the diode  :-X

Oh and you expressed concern about the fact that you have an IR filter installed and you want to keep it. Why? The IR spray from one of these poses virtually NO threat compared to the green coming out. Worry about the green, not the IR. The filter just robs power and doesn't make the laser any safer. the original reason that people wanted IR filters is so they could accurately measure the output power of their lasers. Somewhere along the line this got skewed into a safety issue... it's like playing that telephone game as a kid.... ;D

GooeyGus said:
dont even bother replacing the diode. It will cost as much as a new laser would, plus you have to deal with aligning everything perfectly again for max power.

I've worked on a lot of DPSS lasers, and trust me when I say it's not worth trying to replace the diode  :-X

Oh and you expressed concern about the fact that you have an IR filter installed and you want to keep it. Why? The IR spray from one of these poses virtually NO threat compared to the green coming out. Worry about the green, not the IR. The filter just robs power and doesn't make the laser any safer. the original reason that people wanted IR filters is so they could accurately measure the output power of their lasers. Somewhere along the line this got skewed into a safety issue... it's like playing that telephone game as a kid....  ;D

I've replaced quite a few diodes in both pointers and lab style systems (green only), and I've never really had many problems at all. In my experience, as long as the crystals are left alone then some minor tweaking of the diode alignment is all that has been necessary to get a nice clean beam with plenty of power.. Getting the diode separated from the module and driver has been the greatest challenge for me when dealing with pointers.

As far as repairing the laser being financially economical, it depends on how much you value the laser you're trying to fix.

Also, you're definitely right about the fact that in smaller systems IR isn't really a safety issue. The only time that I worry about IR is if I'm utilizing prisms or dichros. These can cause the IR output to become separated from the green output, thus presenting a slightly higher hazard potential. Not to mention the fact that I prefer my DPSS lasers to emit one wavelength only. If I get a 532nm system, then I want it to only emit 532nm. Multi-line is great with argons, but that's because all the most powerful lasing lines are visible wavelengths. This is just personal taste, though..