Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Measurements

Asa

I've been on the fence about making my own host for a while now as I have all the tools necessary for it (not the parts for a complete laser, though), and I'm pretty set on making one at this point. Problem is, without having any laser diodes, heatsinks or other hosts around, I don't know too many of the measurements that goes into making a host (I know dimensions of a diode, but that doesn't mean you make the heatsink's cavity the same size).

So I'm requesting anything you guys have that shows measurements for hosts, modules and heatsinks. A complete AutoCAD file for a direct-press host would be the best, but anything would be helpful (a diagram of an AixiZ module with all the cavity dimensions would be of great use too).

I'm planning on making very few of these (possibly even just 1), so I won't be mass producing and selling these hosts. I'll probably end up making one for myself and two for use of trading (example: trading a host for a diode so I don't have to buy one). I'll also be making my very own design; these files/diagrams will only be used for their measurements and as a reference. If you don't want anyone else to see anything, you can PM me the information and I will not to leak any information without your consent.

Here's just a short list of things that I could use measurements for:
Any Press-Fit Host
Any Press-Fit Heatsink
AixiZ Module
AixiZ 405 Lens (threading measurements too)
Any 18650 Battery Compartments

Hope to get something, and thanks in advance!

(This thread was in the Help section, but since this is a more popular subforum, I moved it here. Also updated it a bit.)

Not sure why you can't come up with diode pocket dimensions yourself. datasheets for the 5.6mm TO-18 cans have the dimensions listed. Plugging these into autocad isn't really that challenging. Why can't you design your own heatsink/host instead of wanting someone elses design?

I just have a bunch of dead diodes, I bump the hole up bigger till they just start to fit nicely on a direct press fit.

My CAD files usually are not that detailed, things like that are done on the fly!

Toke

I started by buying a complete kit*, and a few 5mW modules.
That will give you an idea of how a laser is assembled, and modules to measure up.
My next step were to rip apart the cheapest flash light available, turn a heat sink, and fit a 5mW module in it.

*Try Odicforce

Asa

Not sure why you can't come up with diode pocket dimensions yourself. datasheets for the 5.6mm TO-18 cans have the dimensions listed. Plugging these into autocad isn't really that challenging. Why can't you design your own heatsink/host instead of wanting someone elses design?

Having never made a laser (due to financial reasons), only owning two cheap eBay's and not having any experience in machining metal, I wasn't sure as to the precision needed to fit these diodes into a heatsink. I've been told by someone that 5.58mm is what I should make the diameter of the outer rim for a snug fit with the diode, and I was hoping for more measurements like these (precise) so I could effectively design my host without over-worrying myself that something will go wrong.

Besides the diode pocket, I don't have all the information I need for other things, such as the lens measurements (AixiZ 405) and threading (actually, I've been told it was "M9X 0.5", but confirmation would be helpful).

It's really dumb things that worry me and I want to make it as cheaply as possible (starting college in a few weeks), so I'm hoping for no screw ups. Things like "If the battery is 18mm wide, how much wider would I make the battery compartment for a snug fit?

Sorry if it appears that I'm trying to steal someone else's design or something, I'm just asking for simple voluntary aid that, by no means, forces anyone to reveal their own designs.

(Also, it may seem dumb that I'm making a host even before having any of the laser parts, but that's part the gamble I'm taking. If I actually do complete a host, then I'll reward myself by buying the parts.)

If you are working with aluminum a diode pocket is a forgiving measurement. Aluminum is soft, it will give you a little more play on that measurement.

The other measurements are calculated either by trail and error or extremely detailed planning, there is no other way. You have to account for a driver, some sort of switch, a spring and enough room for that spring to compress without causing issues...

The list goes on, there is no magical list of measurements to go by (believe me, I wish there was!)

As far as the batteries, I would leave a bit of room there. Batteries are by far not uniform, I've seen some very by more than a millimeter on diameter.

The aixiz lens is threaded for M9x.05, finding a tap that size is difficult. I only know of one place, and they charge 7 bucks for the tap with a minimum order of $25. You need a bottoming tap, so you would need to buy two. One regular tap to get the threading started and one plug tap to grind into a bottoming tap.

If you can use a cutting point to thread (I have no idea what equipment you are on) you will need a very small inside groove tool to cut a thread relief. Most lenses must be practically right on top of the diode to get it to focus right.

The aixiz thread measurements vary a whole lot from one to another. I would not even guarantee that some would fit even if you did buy a tap.

I don't know what sort of tooling you have already, but if you are only making one host you would be so much better off just buying an already built one.

Toke

The kit I mentioned is only £14,99 plus shipping.
Getting the tools together to make your own would likely cost a lot you more.

Asa

If you are working with aluminum a diode pocket is a forgiving measurement. Aluminum is soft, it will give you a little more play on that measurement.

The other measurements are calculated either by trail and error or extremely detailed planning, there is no other way. You have to account for a driver, some sort of switch, a spring and enough room for that spring to compress without causing issues...

The list goes on, there is no magical list of measurements to go by (believe me, I wish there was!)

As far as the batteries, I would leave a bit of room there. Batteries are by far not uniform, I've seen some very by more than a millimeter on diameter.

The aixiz lens is threaded for M9x.05, finding a tap that size is difficult. I only know of one place, and they charge 7 bucks for the tap with a minimum order of $25. You need a bottoming tap, so you would need to buy two. One regular tap to get the threading started and one plug tap to grind into a bottoming tap.

If you can use a cutting point to thread (I have no idea what equipment you are on) you will need a very small inside groove tool to cut a thread relief. Most lenses must be practically right on top of the diode to get it to focus right.

The aixiz thread measurements vary a whole lot from one to another. I would not even guarantee that some would fit even if you did buy a tap.

I don't know what sort of tooling you have already, but if you are only making one host you would be so much better off just buying an already built one.

Thanks for the information. As for the equipment, I work at a glass factory (I'm there at this moment, actually) and I have access to 3 CNCs, multiple lathes and other instruments all within a 200ft radius of myself. I work in the engineering department and can use all their software and instruments as well. I figured if I could make 2 or 3 hosts, I could make myself a 445 for <$50 by trading for the parts and stuff. I use AutoCAD LT on a daily basis, but it's all civil-related site-work and factory layouts.

I started my design already, working on the switch right now (not sure if I want a momentary side button or a tail clicky).

Asa

The kit I mentioned is only £14,99 plus shipping.
Getting the tools together to make your own would likely cost a lot you more.

:thanks: for the suggestion, but I've really just been wanting to take advantage of the equipment I have while I still can.

Toke

:thanks: for the suggestion, but I've really just been wanting to take advantage of the equipment I have while I still can.
I sympatice with you, I am signing off my ship next week.

I have just googled "LED Dropin" to see what size heatsink would fit in common flashlights. There appear to be two standart sizes, 26,5mm and 19mm.

I will make a brass pipe of each with a 12mm hole, then I can cut of a suitable lenght when I get a cheap flashlight.

Another option is to have a two piece heatsink. Drill and tap the outer section for the M9x.05, lathe the ID of one end smooth, make a press fit plug with the diode pocket in it and press that into the threaded sleeve. More machining this way but you'd only need one tap. :D

This seems to be the way the brass diode modules I see in chinese laser pens seem to be made. They're two pieces pressed together.

Toke

Here is a post from another tread that may be of use to you.
The minimag heatsink measurements ensure that they will fit a bit loosely.
The idea is to cut the end of the heatsink to suitable lenght for fitting a 3,7V 14500 battery, driver goes inside the heatsink somewhere.
Battery contact is made with one half of the old plastic battery/bulb holder. See rayrobs host kit for details.
(His did inspire me.)
Here are the first tries at a heatsink for my minimag, they are accurate to within a few tenths of a millimetre. (That's bad.)
They still need polishing and set screws. The diameters are 22,0mm 18,7mm and 14,4mm, lenghts are 2,5mm 9-11mm* and app. 50mm. The bore is 12mm.
The cylinder in the lower left corner is 12mm in diameter, and if split with a hacksaw it could fit inside the sleeve as specific heatsink for a driver.
Now, where does one buy mag tail clickys in Denmark?:D
10ek8s7.jpg

This is an attempt of a heatsink for my USB-stick, I have still not solved the problem with clicky, power source, driver, or how to recharge from USB plug. :D
34j242a.jpg

*This depends on how much of the maglite pipe's tread one removes when opening the end.

Last edited:

Asa

I've been in contact with another forum user on measurements to a 4 D battery Maglite heatsink. I've drawn it out and will post it here pending a few more measurement confirmations.

Asa

magliteheatsink.jpg

Here's a diagram of a heatsink for a 3D Maglite. Note: I have not used these measurements to make the heatsink, but user EzPk0970 has to make this http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/my-first-custom-heatsink-445nm-build-54320.html . Some of the measurements were changed from his original design, however, to make the heatsink fit the host slightly better. Thank you EzPk0970 for all the dimensions!

I also drew a completely new host that could be machined out of aluminum. It's not completely done, but I'm thinking about making it open source and posting a thread with the measurements and whatnot and letting people do whatever they want with it; change it, share, make it themselves, whatever. If anyone would like to see this, speak up!

Last edited: