Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need major help with my battery problem

ok i just built my new blu-ray laser and am having some problems. i am using the PHR-803T diode. I am also using the new and most recent mxdl host which uses 2 cr123a batteries. finally i am also using a rcster driver. I dug out the paste stuff and desholdered the LED. I souldered the positive wire from my driver to the spot where the LED was positive and then the negative to the spot on the board that said LED-. When I pu my batteries in the host the laser works perfectly, so i then put it away. When I come back even 5 minutes later all of a sudden the laser does not work. I then put in a different set of batteries and the laser works. repeate this and it does not work again. im using the correct 3.6v rechargables so why is my laser killing the batteries?

Check the voltage on the batteries that don't work. If they are dead you have a short. If they are still charged, you likely have a bad connection. You can also check the off resistance of the host. (remove the batteries, connect a multimeter set to ohms to the driver's input leads. With the flashlight off you should have infinite resistance. Also, be careful. If it is a short and you use unprotected batteries, then there is a fire/explosion hazard.

hope this helps,
kernelpanic

Sounds to me like you have a DIRECT SHORT somewhere to drain the batteries so quickly. Check to make sure you didn't jumper 2 connection spots by accident while soldering, also make sure that your spring is not too long, bending over & shorting out against the side of the host. Just my $00.02

Do you have pics of this build? Ive got the same parts and about to start attempting to put it together.