Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need, Laser Help. Cant chose.

up2u

hey.

im new, and i have been looking at lasers for an long time now, i came up here and this seems to be an realy good laser forum.

my question is.. i want an laser.
i cant chocse.

i dont know much about lasers but i know mW is how strong it is, and you all have 100-250mW but 10mW costs 300$
what the hell :/

---------

so, i would like an laser that can just reache an Far distance, needs to be good to see at 16.00 and would be nice if it can go thru something (balloons would be nice), if i say an 2$ laser thing can go 100meters at night, i want one that can go like 3000m

i got around 30$-50$, is this possible?

please give me as much information as you can.

thank you very much, up2u.

Last edited:

You really need to do more reading.
First: WELCOME TO THE FORUM :D

Enjoy your time with us here!

Next, please go through FAQ section, and all the stickied topics of the forums sections.

It will answer many many questions you are about to post.

Second: 10mW laser does NOT cost $300. Unless it is a 473nm blue laser or 594 nm orange.

If you have some electronics and building skills, you can get started by trying to build your own green laser.
If not, you can buy one, and you will get to ' I wish I know how it worked...' later.

In any way:
Most respectable sellers of laser parts here -
Andrew - modwerx.com
Kendall - hightechdealz.com
Greg - Stonetek.org

All of them great guys! They are all member of this forum also, so you know that you are buying from trusted people!

Next, companies
o-like.com
rayfoss.com

Personally I prefer O-like, they have live MSN customer support, Susie is a legend here.
You can go to their website and browse around.

Finally, professional companies with TOP-NOTCH quality are
Laserglow.com
DragonLasers.com
WickedLasers.com

However, purchasing from there will bust a big chuck of your wallet. Best part is, you won't ever regret it. :D

Finally, you can always go to Laser Pro shop on this forum and buy stuff from most respected member here like Daguin, jayrob, FlaminPyro, and all MANY MANY other I don't have the time to type right now :D

You will find that the best way is building your own lasers.
You will need laser diodes, diode housings (a.k.a. modules), and drivers for diodes.
Aixiz.com - most favourite seller of laser diode housings (10 blanks pack, $25.50)

Drivers .... there is great variety of options. You can buy a lot of drivers and make even more.
Do a quick search on LM317, LM1117, FlexDrive, and generaly 'driver' :D

Enjoy!

up2u

thank you very much.

i looked at some topics also and i saw this
Latest Quality Gadgets Retail @ Wholesale Price - BudgetGadgets.com , this changed my toughts about lasers.

they have an 200mW for 45$ lool?

and, they have this
$21.66 New Keychain Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen Flashlight 30mW/50mW/100mW - BudgetGadgets.com

it will cost me 30$ everything included (batterys and 50mW ppl respond nice about that)
they say 50mW will pop baloons and cut cloths etc.
well thats exacly what i want as an beginner.

i cant make my own belefe me >.<, so do you think this is good for me?

Last edited:
I actually like the budget gadgets green 50mw it will pop balloons and burn leather but not cut clothes I think this would be suitable!

I left out DealExtreme, Focalprice, and LED shoppe and similar sites because of unreliabiliy.

You could pay for 30mW green and get 100mW green, or pay for 200mW green and get 20 mW green.

Like overspec? What if you needed eyesafe class presentation pointer or similar?
Not too safe in my opinion.

Buying such 'cheapies' is a gamble. And not so harmless one.

up2u

well, i am not going to wear glasses, but i will be safe with it.

i saw an vid with an guy showing it and it looks not bad for its price.

edit:

i saw this:
http://www.focalprice.com/LP115B/50mW_532nm_Green_Laser_Pointer_Black.html

and i just want to hear what you say but i think i buy that.

50mW should be possible tom pop balloons, 14$ FREE SHIPMENT and some one from my country ordered it,
and he was happy. (holland)

that would be 10$, for an baloon popping 3000mile gree laser pen.

Last edited:

Ash

I wouldn't trust Budget Gadget's "claims" about mW output. Just like Deal Extreme or Focalprice; you may order (and pay for) a 200mW laser, but the one you get is usually much lower in power (could be as low as 50mW).
This is why we only recommend o-like and Rayfoss so much. As companies, they are very VERY trustworthy. The verify the power output of their lasers before they send them, and (most) come with a warranty, (which is something you won't get with focalprice, DX, or Budget Gadgets).
Personaly, I would recommend a simple <50mW green pointer. This will be fine for pointing things out up to ~5miles away, but is not good for pointing at things indoors (it is far too bright to look at inside). A 50mW green laser will pop (dark) baloons, melt some soft (black) plastics and has a very (very) impressive beam at night.
The best price from a reputable seller, right now is $25: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1076.htm
or $28 at o-like:
Pocket compact Green laser 50mW [OLPG50] - $28.00 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices
Personally, I would go for this $33 one at rayfoss:
www.rayfoss.com
it has 5-different patterns (diffraction gratings), that come with it, and you can also use it without the pattern caps.

For your second laser, I suggest a 200mW red laser (new-style dilda) for around $45.
For your third laser, I would suggest a >100mW bluray. You can find them for around $80, or build your own for about $40.

Good Luck :san:

up2u

like i sayd im no profecional, just looking for something new,
and if i like it i maby but an new one.

only it all sounds so dangerous,
im not going to wear glasses with 50mW but i will be carefull.

if i accedently shine with an 50mW for 0.5 second,
will that be fatal?

also, if the rayfoss one is free shipment,
that would be an nice one.
the o-like cant pop baloos right?
and the 25$ one only goes 1500, also, i need an shipment to Holland.

are you sure that i cant try the cheap ones?
cost me only 14$ and ppl respond not bad :eek:.

up2u

sure than the smartass comes in...
you get the points and if you cant help me let me please handle this.

EDIT:

ok ash you got me <3
im buying an 50mW green one definitly.
only from where, just to let you know, 3 things realy care for me:

-25 not higher, 28 can be acceptable if its an good one.
- i NEED free shippment sindce i think shippment to Holland will cost me more than the laser itselfe.
- it must pop normal baloons (dosnt matter if i have to point at one for 10secs, just needs to be possible)

so if you say the rayfoss one will be nice, and i get free shippment, i will buy that one.

also, u sayd owners from 0-likely and rayfoss where on this forum?
maby possible to ask if it can pop balloons, or add 10mW if i pay a lil more.

Last edited:

mfo

sure than the smartass comes in...
you get the points and if you cant help me let me please handle this.

How about you help yourself? There's already plenty of material here for you to read, which will help you make your decision. Also, you can use the search button.

up2u

why do you come here complaining if i need help.

that other guys actualy helped me a lot,
so let me talk to them.

mfo

why do you come here complaining if i need help.

that other guys actualy helped me a lot,
so let me talk to them.

No one is complaining, I'm merely trying to nudge you in the right direction.

You're better off reading, it'll help you more in the long run. All of your questions have already been answered here. Trust me.

Ash

if i accedently shine with an 50mW for 0.5 second,
will that be fatal?
Not fatal. But even direct exposure (a shot in the eye) from a laser (or reflection) for less than 0.001 second (faster than your blink reflex) can cause permanent damage to your vision. I would highly recommend safety goggles for anything over 20mW. The (relativly low) cost [~$20] for safety goggles now, can greatly reduce your cost (visiting an eye-doctor) (or having to use a seeing-eye-dog) later. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

up2u

why would i read tons of text if i can ask my simple questions here.
please go away.

Ash,
is it possible to let the ppl from o-likely add like 10mW what makes 60mW if i pay like 3$-5$ more?

mfo

why would i read tons of text if i can ask my simple questions here.
please go away.

Ash,
is it possible to let the ppl from o-likely add like 10mW what makes 60mW if i pay like 3$-5$ more?

Wow....

You're an imbecile. If anyone needs to go away, it's you. Reading is what forums are all about. If you can't grasp that, then this hobby definitely isn't for you.