Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need lab style heat sink that accepts aixiz module

Im running a TEC cooled 445nm diode in an aixiz module and have it in one of their alum brackets. I need a heat sink capable of dissipating the TEC. Any suggestions. Something mountable is much preferred.

i'm also a little confused now.. your title says a heatsink for an aixiz and your main post says you need a heat sink for a tec.

michael.

i'm also a little confused now.. your title says a heatsink for an aixiz and your main post says you need a heat sink for a tec.

michael.

i have one of these
popup_image.php
http://aixiz.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=72
in one of these
popup_image.php
http://aixiz.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=224
with a TEC on bottom

Did you happen to notice the link I posted in post #4? That's pretty much precisely the same as what is in that picture.. better actually since it gives more surface area for dissipation.

a cube has less surface area than a heat sink. so a 2" heat sink will work much better than a 2" cube. i am running a 445 in a small host that has solid hollowed piece of aluminum that my module fits in. it weighs less than an ounce. and can rund for at least 5 mns. i've never had a reason to go longer but i would'nt be afraid to. also note that i am running at 1600ma.

michael.

^Well stated Michael!

Those z-bolt heatsinks are about 3.5" square by 1.5" deep..

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here about how the TEC functions.. Ideally you'd want the diode in a heatsink (the mount you have will do perfectly), which you then place on the cold side of the TEC. Then below the hot side of the TEC you need either a thick metal baseplate or another heatsink to dissipate the warmth from the hot side of the TEC, which is why I recommended the CPU sink. So you'll end up with a sandwich with a heatsink on top and another on the bottom.. It will be pretty difficult for you to have everything contained in the form factor you linked to.

^Well stated Michael!

Those z-bolt heatsinks are about 3.5" square by 1.5" deep..

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here about how the TEC functions.. Ideally you'd want the diode in a heatsink (the mount you have will do perfectly), which you then place on the cold side of the TEC. Then below the hot side of the TEC you need either a thick metal baseplate or another heatsink to dissipate the warmth from the hot side of the TEC, which is why I recommended the CPU sink. So you'll end up with a sandwich with a heatsink on top and another on the bottom.. It will be pretty difficult for you to have everything contained in the form factor you linked to.

I am sandwiching it currently. the link I posted is of the "cube" that is a heat sink that I took off my motherboard. It also has a fan. Rig overheated.

How cool are you trying to keep the diode? You should only need minimal TEC current to keep the diode at a safe temperature.. it sounds to me like you might be driving the TEC too hard, causing it to produce more heat on the hot side.

How cool are you trying to keep the diode? You should only need minimal TEC current to keep the diode at a safe temperature.. it sounds to me like you might be driving the TEC too hard, causing it to produce more heat on the hot side.

here are pics of rigs:
CPU heat sink that works: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
mobo sink sink that doesnt(tec and module were moved to cpu rig so they are not in pic ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

its connected directly to 5V rail on my CPU's 700 watt power supply give me a few min and ill go get a multimeter connected in the loop