Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need info on InfraRed LED

Hi i was thinking if this infrared.....
DealExtreme: $13.17 High Powered 3W InfraRed IR Drop-in Module for WF-502B Style Flashlights (8.4V)
would make any light that you could see from the naked eye or you would just be able to see in the camera.

The other thing what is the different between
Infra-Red LED or the Emitters LED
I just need to make a flashlight that would be able to see in a pitch black room, and be able to see everything in my camera. Like in this video
YouTube - Infrared illuminator

Well thank you so much.

:thanks:

Most IR LEDs I've tested are at the claimed 850nm peak which is still plenty visible when staring into the source in the dark. This is a wild guess as to what it would look like:

sku_12625_8.jpg

Last edited:
if you want to light up a room (wide area) don't get the drop-in module.

Get the 3W IR emitter from DX (search it), heatsink it with thermal compound and get a stable 8.4v, High current power supply. should do the trick :beer:

edit: btw, to get rid of the red glow (it will only be barely visible on the EMITTER, not on your room) get a IR-Pass filter, and for goddamn sakes don't look at that light.

Thank you Leodahsan but everything that you mention
-3W IR emitter
-heatsink
-thermal compound
-8.4v
can i get all those in DX.

Thank you Leodahsan but everything that you mention
-3W IR emitter
-heatsink
-thermal compound
-8.4v
can i get all those in DX.

edited: links added
3W IR - yes
heatsink (a little overkill but cheap with active cooling XD will fit 9 or 4 stars I think) - yes
thermal grease - yes
8.4v - 2*18650 + charger (portable) - yes

I'd recommend a driver but thats up to you. hope that helps

Last edited:
edited: links added
3W IR - yes
heatsink (a little overkill but cheap with active cooling XD will fit 9 or 4 stars I think) - yes
thermal grease - yes
8.4v - 2*18650 + charger (portable) - yes

I'd recommend a driver but thats up to you. hope that helps
Thank you so much Leodahsan that did help.
And yes i would like a driver for it too witch one would you recommend for this project.

Thanks again.

I'm not into IR drivers, dunno.
Try DealExtreme: $5.35 17mm 1000mA 5-Mode with Mode-Memory LEDDriver Circuit Board for Cree XR-E Emitters (0.9~4.5V Input), some people said it is good.
If you cannot find any driver, a expensive thing to do could be get 3 IR emitters (1w) and wire in series, and get a 4.5~5.1v driver and power they together, or get 3 IR emitters (3w) and wired in series, power with 4.5v 3A :p that would be great.. but expensive.
Thank you so much Leodahsan