Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help

MACHEW

Hey everybody. I've been looking around this section for a while and I am thinking about buying a new laser, but first i have a few questions. I am confused between the difference of blue, violet, and blu-ray lasers. I know they are different wavelengths and the prices are very different. So the lasers I've been looking at are:

405nm 50mW blu-ray pen /adjustable [OLBVL10] - $36.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

and

www.rayfoss.com

Which one is better quality? Also, would these be able to burn? I heard that violet/blue lasers are the best color to burn. I now that they are not going to burn very well because they are not high powered, but will they pop a balloon or burn through a black garbage bag? Thanks!

Both of these Lasers will have trouble burning much if at all. The rayfoss uses a better battery, but the O-like will be higher quality.

MACHEW

Ok. So what is the minimum power that will pop balloons and burn?

Some might actually say 50mW, but I know that a PHR at 110ma has trouble burning. I would go for at least 150mW of 405nm / 200mW of 650nm / 150mW of 532nm. Laser safety glasses are Mandatory for anything over 5mW, and especially if you plan on burning anything!!

MACHEW

Some might actually say 50mW, but I know that a PHR at 110ma has trouble burning. I would go for at least 150mW of 405nm / 200mW of 650nm / 150mW of 532nm. Laser safety glasses are Mandatory for anything over 5mW, and especially if you plan on burning anything!!

Thanks for the reply. Is the 110ma referring to the current? Because the rayfoss says I<380mA and the o-like has I<180mA. What does this mean?
And yes I'll be using safety glasses.

PHR's run at ~110ma and give ~100mW. The currents listed could be what the driver draws not what is getting to the diode, and it says less than which doesn't mean a whole lot in the long run. You have to take some of the specs provided with a grain of salt.

MACHEW

So I wouldn't even be able to smoke some black colored objects at this power?

You would. Just don't expect to be cutting things in half.^^ You can pop balloons, and light a match if you focus correctly. Black colored objects will smoke. Just not a ton of smoke.

MACHEW

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to go with the o-like one. I just have one more question about its brightness. I do realize that violet is not as bright as green, but how visible is its beam? Its not really what I'm looking for with this laser (I would have gotten a green one if this were the case) but I'm just curious. Thanks everyone for helping me!!:yh:

Not very...but you will see a faint beam. But, it will not be very bright. I think violet is the best color, though. I love that purple:D And flourescing things is quite fun too:)