Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with learning to solder.

Check my post here to kit up.

Also check this link.
Most important it ALWAYS use fresh electronics flux. I don't care if it's rosin core solder or not, use flux every time.

Hope these help. :)

tarek777 said:
I wish to learn to solder because it seems like everytime i wanna mod something or create something, it needs soldering, and that seems to be a big road block for me. First, I need to choose a soldering set. Im thinking of http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...igkw=soldering&kw=soldering&parentPage=search.
What does everybody else think?

i use the radioshack iron and it works fine. The kit you linked is good to get started, and I would recommend getting a circuit board and a few cheap components to practice on - or check ebay as a bunch of companies make practice soldering kits.

then once you get better you can build fun stuff - like this pointless circuit i made a few years ago

Attachments

• STA72046.JPG
    STA72046.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 96
MarioMaster said:
i use the radioshack iron and it works fine. The kit you linked is good to get started, and I would recommend getting a circuit board and a few cheap components to practice on - or check ebay as a bunch of companies make practice soldering kits.

I've had really bad luck with RadioShack soldering iron tips. It seems like after just a hundred joints or so tey rot right off the iron. But I suppose if it's working well for you, I must have just picked up some bad tips. :(

why is everyone in the US worried about flux. I use lead free solder (99.7% tin 0.3% copper) and have had 1000's of succesful joints with no failure. I regularly assemble complex electronic kits with over 200 components and they work first time... only time i ever use flux is oxyacetylene braze welding.

Am I just really lucky? I have never used flux, I learned to solder without it.

other thing is my old dodgy soldering iron is kinda rotting too... :p looking at a nice $50 (AUD) butane iron kit for xmas

BlueFusion said:
why is everyone in the US worried about flux

Note to self:
Self, before using anything Blue has soldered, but sure to check all connections.

@Blue,
I'm mostly just joking, but as I've made about 3000 connections this week all with flux, I know it's needed for a proper connection and I'll never solder without it.

I'm with you MarioMaster - normal rosin-core solder works fine for me.
BTW, the rosin core *is* flux so when you use separate flux paste you're just adding more (and making a mess IMHO).
The only time I'd consider using additional flux on an electrical connection is if I was trying to get solder to flow on some surface that it really didn't want to. But I've never had to resort to that.
They say "heat the parts, not the solder". As much as people try not to overheat the pins of their LD, you still have to get them to the melting point of the solder or you'll get a cold joint.
I usually put a small bead of solder on the iron tip for better heat conduction, then "tin" both parts to be soldered first. If both parts have fresh solder flowed on them, they'll solder together instantly.

But the use of (extra) flux seems to be a religious issue. I'm not expecting any converts.

Nor should you. ;) LOL
I know it can be done with just rosin core solder, and if that means you only have 1 in 1000 joints fail you'll only have a problem every few months. But for me, if 1 in 1000 joints fail, that's a LOT of RMAs.

Normally, Kester 44 rosin core solder works great. Some wires are different, maybe oxidized, and need a little extra flux for wetting. Learn how to see wetting happen. Then you will have good connections.

Mike

We shall see. I am shortly assembling ~230 drivers with lead free solid solder and no flux... making 4600 joints and 920 of them SMT. All shall be tested. We shall see...

An essential part of any soldering is to tin wires and pins before joining them, as previously stated by Zarniwoop et al. I posted a little movie on another thread where it is quite likely that poor solder joints may be part of the problem.

It is near the end of this thread....

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197848269/10#10

I use rosin core solder, I only ever use flux if I am soldering something large like the front end of an aixiz module into a heatsink....then I need to use a gas torch, not an iron :)

Regards rog8811

well, our electronics teacher started us by asking us to grab a piece of 1mm wire and making a circle with it.
then he would cut it and ask us to make a fish structure with the wire (everything by soldering the wire's ends to each other to create a fish-like thing).

then he would cut it again and ask us to reinforce it, and so on..

that should be a great way to get started, but be sure to hold the wires (didnt mention, the wire's plastic protection should be peeled off all the way) with something else or you will get your hand burnt.