Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help with DX 200mw green laser module driver.

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I have been getting into lasers the last couple of months and I stumbled across Styropyro's tutorial on making a cheap ebay/dealsextreme laser into a powerful 200mw laser. Anyway I have 10 cheap ebay lasers and I decided to order a 200mw green module from Dealsextreme. It took a month to get here in the States. When I got it I went back to the tutorial and attempted to de-solder the red and black lead wires from the driver part of the module. Long story short I got the spring on in a few attempts, but when I put the module into a newwish style laser pen and 2 AAA's, nothing happens. I also tried connecting wires to the spring - and positive points on the driver and nothing. No beam, no light... After messing around with it for a while and using my multimeter and batteries to test the driver, i discovered that the button is most likely malfunctioning or shorting out... It is very close to the solder point where I attach the spring, and may have gotten solder inside of it. I have tried cleaning it with de-soldering braid and other means and got most of it off and put the spring on better and still nothing. I was about to give up when I realized my multimeter was getting conductivity from the + lead to the out on the large blue resistor. I tried touching a black wire to the resistor and the module powers up no problem... Except its constantly on.. The button doesnt function of course. If anyone knows what I can do or a way I can replace the button of this thing id appreciate it. Or if its another problem all together. I did spent a lot of time soldering the driver so it may have been over heated. I am using a 15mw fine tip iron and 22mm rosin core solder. I am posting pictures of the driver/diode module. Please help it was 45$ and I really would like to get it working somehow with a new switch/button even if it means bypassing the original switch/button. Here are pic's. If need more pictures or details let me know.

If I need a new driver can anyone recommend a specific driver for this a 200mw green diode? I am only finding ones for violet ones on o-like.com
or some way to repair this driver. I know the diode is working it makes a very bright dot and visible beam similar to my wicked e3.
If I can get this thing working properly I would like to put it into a host of some sort better than a newwish style pen so I can use more battery for higher voltage.

gotta go to sleep im gonna fix those picutrs hard to read, i had to lower the resolution before i could upload.

The Diode does emitt full power when connected to 3 AAA's negative wire to the blue resistor in the pic and postive from its orginal spot.

Also I own a Wicked E3 green 100mw laser (my favorite contrary to popular opinion..)
A Rayfoss 200mw violet laser that is super under spec.
And just ordered a 200mw+ red laser from o-like.
Also own many ebay style "5-10mw" newwish style lasers that I have replaced a few modules in with violet 100mw. Comes presoldered so very easy for me.

Attachments

• P1010665.JPG
    P1010665.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,639
  • P1010666.JPG
    P1010666.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 780
  • P1010667.JPG
    P1010667.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,499
Last edited:

honeyx

I guess the plastic inside your button simply melted so it doesn´t work anymore. The driver seems to be ok.

You can simply replace the button by another one, or just solder two wires and a separate button to your module. One wire to the spring and the other to the resistor like in your first picture. Then you simply solder the separate button to the ends of the wires and you are done.

Thanks, I actually did just that yesterday. I took a button off a broken 5mw violet driver and put it on the wire leading to the 200mw green. Its a different button though, works alright to big to fit on the 200mw driver though. ALso the original button was 4 prong, this button is 2 prong, no idea where the other 2 prongs on the button were going to on the driver...

Last edited:
I actually did kinda fix it, I def melted the button when I tried to solder it back on. Im waiting on a case positive host from Jayrob that has a rear button. I got my spring soldered on but I removed the little button on the driver and just bypassed it with some small wire. I'd still be intersted to know how I could fix it though to have another little button on it. Also I have it was originall a "4 pin" button apposed to one of those 2 pin buttons.
Thanks

Last edited: