Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help purchasing first laser pointer

Herby

Hi all,

I am new to the laser scene and I need help buying my first laser. I have a rough idea of which colour laser is the brightest and which is the best for burning. I'm looking for both so would a 445nm 1000mw be a good choice? My budget is $200 (including shipping).

I've been looking around ebay and came across this

1000# 445nm adjustable focus blue laser pointer/will light matches and cigarette | eBay

Any thoughts?

I've also visited Lazerer. Can anyone recommend one to me? It doesn't have to be a blue laser. It can also be green.

TIA

If this is your first laser, you may seriously want to reconsider buying such a powerful laser.

1W is a lot of power and will do damage to your eyes literally faster then you can blink.

I doubt I'll convince you to go with something else, so yes, 1W of 445nm would offer great visibility and plenty of burning power.

You can get a laser from lazerer, his service is excellent.

You can also find some great lasers and deals right here on the forum in the B/S/T section.

Regardless you also absolutely need safety goggles. See my signature for some links. The links are in descending order of quality.

Did you know that a 300mW 445 can burn also and is not as dangerous as a 1000mW the battery will last longer between charges and the laser diode will live longer also.

In any case you will need laser safety glasses for both, do you plan on buying laser safety goggles also :thinking:

A 1000mW laser is not a good laser for your first laser, I would suggest something less, they are just as much fun !

Happy Holidays :san:

Did you know that a 300mW 445 can burn also and is not as dangerous as a 1000mW the battery will last longer between charges and the laser diode will live longer also.

That's absolutely true, seeing as my 350mW mini gets by far the most usage. The 2.3W almost never leaves my desk drawer.

However a 300mW should be treated with the same exact level of respect as a 1W.... either one will do instant damage.

Kind of like with pyrotechnics you might say... doesn't matter if you're blown up by one stick of dynamite or an atomic bomb... dead is dead:p

Herby

Yes goggles are a must especially after reading the other thread about the accident.

Where can I go abouts finding a 445nm 300mw?

Last edited:
Yes goggles are a must especially after reading the other thread about the accident.

Where can I go abouts finding a 445nm 300mw?

Sent you a PM with a couple of recommendations.

Unfortunately for <1W and over ~100mW you pretty much have to go with a custom build.