Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help on Stonetek 16x DVD Burner diode

I recently got my stonetek diode today, and It was bright, but then when I next plugged in the battery, the beam is dim, please help me ASAP.

Did you read all of the FAQs?
Never plug a laser diode directly to a battery. You will kill it. (THe diode)
You need a laser driver that will limit the ammount of current that goes to the diode.

We would need lots more info in order to help you properly. What kind of driver? LM317? What current was the driver set to? What batteries are you using?

^ exactly, using a homemade driver is fine, i've done it several times, the question is was it set up correctly

It went fine, then the diode went dim, I exactly followed the video from PhazonXL, but I don't know whats wrong.

We understand that, but we still need more information.
What did you set the current at?

Could you post a link to the video?

Well, this is all I know fron the top of my brain, I was using a 9v battery, and if you want more, here is a link:

YouTube - DIY: How to build a laser diode driver

That's all I can tell what I know, by the way, if you watch the video guys, you might be able to understand. ;)

EDIT: The pot is just there to adjust the brightness, it's actully not needed.

Did you use a pot or not?
The pot really is needed. It controls the amount of current supplied to your diode. To much current=dead diode.
This is actually a good video.
This is what you made...am I right?
LM317_components01_001.jpg

You Killed your diode from to much current. It's a noob mistake. It happens to all of us. Buy/find another diode and give it a try again, except next time set the current to the proper levels first.

Thanks for the help guys, this time I did use the pot and it is good as new again, thanks again. :)