Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help on 632.8nm?

Hey guys,

I recently have been looking over other wavelengths I don't currently own and are in the *cheap* price range and I started to become curious with 632.8nm. I know this wavelength is HeNe(and I said I would never get HeNe :wtf:) and is less common than 635nm if I am correct?

I asked a few members on LPF and it seems they can be picked up for around $30. What I am asking is this: What would I expect to pay for a 5mW 632.8nm unit, and/or if someone is currently willing to sell one to me, how much would you be asking. I think this could be a very unique laser to my collection :D

-Alex

Last edited:

5mW is higher than normal for a HeNe. If you are going to get a HeNe for 30$, it will be like 1-2mW.

Very true^ haha but scrounge eBay, often you will find a nice starter 1-2mW red HeNe with power supply for <$50. I just posted a link to one a few days ago in the eBay thread on here

GL -- That's a neat little tube. You can fins Power supplies
on ebay too but be patient. Dave may have one to sell too.
Are you going for it?
HMike

GL -- That's a neat little tube. You can fins Power supplies
on ebay too but be patient. Dave may have one to sell too.
Are you going for it?
HMike

I only have $1.20 in my PP right now haha :D That Aquarius completely ruined me. If I do buy 632.8nm though I would like it to have it LPM'ed(since I hate not knowing my lasers output). And I was also told 5mW is hard to get in HeNe? How come? I though most if not all wavelengths in the Red part of the visible spectrum were quite easy to make.

Last edited:

IsaacT

It is the nature of the beast with Helium Neon lasers. You aren't going to get a very powerful beam. There are lots of reasons others can divulge but suffice it to say a 5mW HeNe would probably run you 100 dollars and anything much higher like 15mW would likely run you 250-300 dollars.

Just look at WBS's sig.

He has a VERY NICE JDS HeNe @ 1mw :)

If you look around you will see most HeNes are very low power.

20mw at the MOST!!!

:beer:
-Matt

This thread interests me (so I hope people don't mind me jumping on) - I would like to buy a HeNe eventually - but I don't have any room for big Argons unfortunately (and am trying to declutter) so will no doubt have to do without for now.

What's the deal then with HeNes? Is it just a tube with a power supply that you plug into the wall, or is it a "laser in a box" type of deal and said "bare tubes" are only part of the recipe?

I think the 593.5 will most likely be the last solid state I buy for a while (currently scavenging the house for stuff to sell to fund said laser) and then I will eventually embark onto the "road of the gassers" and buy my first HeNe.

Last edited:
This thread interests me (so I hope people don't mind me jumping on) - I would like to buy a HeNe eventually - but I don't have any room for big Argons unfortunately (and am trying to declutter) so will no doubt have to do without for now.

What's the deal then with HeNes? Is it just a tube with a power supply that you plug into the wall, or is it a "laser in a box" type of deal and said "bare tubes" are only part of the recipe?

I think the 593.5 will most likely be the last solid state I buy for a while (currently scavenging the house for stuff to sell to fund said laser) and then I will eventually embark onto the "road of the gassers" and buy my first HeNe.

Im not too sure either about why HeNe's are so popular but im guessing it's because HeNe's offer wavelength's not possible in diode/DPSS form(if they are available, im guessing HeNe's are cheaper for that paticular wavelength).

Some wavelengths I have seen only in HeNe form:
- 632.8nm
- 543nm

Once again, there is a good chance im wrong since im very new to the world of HeNe's as well, but that is my best guess as to why people purchase HeNe's :)

Oh I can completely understand why people love them. It's a bit like classic cars, they're just different, quirkier.

Some wavelengths I have seen only in HeNe form:
- 632.8nm
- 543nm

Opnext is in the process of making a 633nm diode as a "replacement" for HeNe lasers
CNI offers DPSS 543nm 593.5nm and 604nm as a "replacement" for HeNe lasers
they also offer 633nm
they don't offer 611.8 nm, 1.1523 μm, 1.52 μm, 3.3913 μm
but they do come close 607nm 1122nm 1532nm

Last edited:
You guys are forgetting something... PLASMA :drool:

Haha but GL I think I posted the 214 MG HeNe on the eBay thread, that one is fully housed. You will not regret getting a bare tube HeNe though, unless electrons like to use your hands as a wire :p

IsaacT

Electrons LOVE my hands. My brother was like "I got shocked by a 9V today". I was like "lol. Touch this." He didnt fall for it. :/