Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need help getting laser for girl thats a friend

daguin

Re: need help getting laser for girl thats a frien

50Freestyle said:
I don't know any girls that like lasers.

WOW! The subtle sexism in that statement is amazing.

If you will keep your eyes (and mind) open, you may find that many "girls" like lasers (especially pretty ones). Some are on this forum ;)

Peace,
dave

I alway knew senkat was a girl ^^

My girl likes lasers in fact i cant tell if she comes over for me or to play with my rpl :|

daguin said:
[quote author=50Freestyle link=1217467334/80#95 date=1218294657] I don't know any girls that like lasers.

WOW!  The subtle sexism in that statement is amazing.  

If you will keep your eyes (and mind) open, you may find that many "girls" like lasers (especially pretty ones).  Some are on this forum ;)

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

I don't see how there was any sexism in that statement. I said nothing to seperate guys from girls there, I simply stated that I do not know any girls that like lasers. I really don't see how that is sexist, because I don't know any who liked them means I am sexist? If I wanted to be sexist about it I would've said something more along the lines of "All girls hate lasers and only guys like them so don't get her one".

daguin

50Freestyle said:
[quote author=daguin link=1217467334/80#96 date=1218295951][quote author=50Freestyle link=1217467334/80#95 date=1218294657] I don't know any girls that like lasers.
WOW! The subtle sexism in that statement is amazing.
If you will keep your eyes (and mind) open, you may find that many "girls" like lasers (especially pretty ones). Some are on this forum ;)

I don't see how there was any sexism in that statement. I said nothing to seperate guys from girls there, I simply stated that I do not know any girls that like lasers. I really don't see how that is sexist, because I don't know any who liked them means I am sexist? If I wanted to be sexist about it I would've said something more along the lines of "All girls hate lasers and only guys like them so don't get her one".
[/quote]

He doth protest too much, methinks!

That's why I said "subtle" sexism. Not all sexism is blatant. The statement does NOT have to be in the superlative (like your example of "all" and "only") to be sexist.

By stating that YOU don't know any girls that like lasers and then continuing to give advice about what a real girl would want for a birthday present, you are implying that any real girl won't be interested in lasers.

What you are implying is: GIRLS don't like lasers. GIRLS like pretty necklaces with their initials on them.

Sexist hogwash!

Some girls like pretty necklaces. Some girls like lasers. Some girls like monster trucks. Some girls like "Oakie Noodling." Get to know the girl, NOT the ideas that your "hairy legged" friends have about them. You will find that there are very few things that apply to the majority of them.

Peace,
dave

daguin

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=Rangedunits link=1217467334/80#97 date=1218297160]I alway knew senkat was a girl ^^
Um yea... Senkat's real name is Greg ::)[/quote]

And he's got a very pretty wife :-*

I don't know why she puts up with him

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=50Freestyle link=1217467334/80#99 date=1218298506][quote author=daguin link=1217467334/80#96 date=1218295951][quote author=50Freestyle link=1217467334/80#95 date=1218294657] I don't know any girls that like lasers.
WOW!  The subtle sexism in that statement is amazing.  
If you will keep your eyes (and mind) open, you may find that many "girls" like lasers (especially pretty ones).  Some are on this forum ;)

[/quote]

He doth protest too much, methinks!  

That's why I said "subtle" sexism.  Not all sexism is blatant.  The statement does NOT have to be in the superlative (like your example of "all" and "only") to be sexist.  

By stating that YOU don't know any girls that like lasers and then continuing to give advice about what a real girl would want for a birthday present, you are implying that any real girl won't be interested in lasers.

What you are implying is:  GIRLS don't like lasers.  GIRLS like pretty necklaces with their initials on them.  

Sexist hogwash!

Some girls like pretty necklaces.  Some girls like lasers.  Some girls like monster trucks.  Some girls like "Oakie Noodling."  Get to know the girl, NOT the ideas that your "hairy legged" friends have about them.  You will find that there are very few things that apply to the majority of them.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

I only protest when accused of being something I am not. When I countinued on I was only suggesting alternative options if she doesn't care much for lasers. I never stated nor thought that GIRLS DO NOT LIKE LASERS because I know that some do. I did not even suggest that he not make her a laser nor did I suggest using the alternative. I meant for that post to continue on from what others were stating and did not in any way mean for it to be SEXIST. All I have to do in my post is change the word nicer to nice and in no way should that even be interpreted as [highlight]SEXIST[/highlight]

It really sucks when you try to help a guy out and get shot down.

Call me sexist, call me racial, call me prejudice, whichever you please, for none of them mean a thing to me because they are what I am not.

daguin

50Freestyle said:
I only protest when accused of being something I am not. When I countinued on I was only suggesting alternative options if she doesn't care much for lasers. I never stated nor thought that GIRLS DO NOT LIKE LASERS because I know that some do. I did not even suggest that he not make her a laser nor did I suggest using the alternative. I meant for that post to continue on from what others were stating and did not in any way mean for it to be SEXIST. All I have to do in my post is change the word nicer to nice and in no way should that even be interpreted as [highlight]SEXIST[/highlight]
Call me sexist, call me racial, call me prejudice, whichever you please, for none of them mean a thing to me because they are what I am not.

Good Gosh!
Have the drama queens taken over the forum?
Breathe through your nose.
Not everything in the world is a personal attack on you.
The world does NOT revolve around you.
You exposed an idea which I saw as problematic.
I commented on it.
Get over your bad a** self.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=50Freestyle link=1217467334/100#103 date=1218305235]

Good Gosh!  
Have the drama queens taken over the forum?  
Breathe through your nose.  
Not everything in the world is a personal attack on you.  
The world does NOT revolve around you.  
You exposed an idea which I saw as problematic.  
I commented on it.  
Get over your bad a** self.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

No drama queens that I know of are taking over the forum. Nothing in this world is a personal attack on me, just this. If the world revolved around me I wouldn't be helping someone else out. Earlier on this thread I posted a thread that I worked on to try to keep it from being turned into something sexual, you told me it was not possible and you were nice enough not to turn it into something it was not. So I post again and the one person who was nice enought to not butcher my earlier post turns my new post into something sexist. I do not mind that you commented about the statement and stated that it was somewhat sexist but the words after accuse [highlight]me[/highlight] of sexism, how could you know this if you don't know me?

The bottom line is that that post was in no way meant to be sexist and I am no sexist person, this is what made me mad.

Good luck with whatever you decide Wes

I'm outta here

daguin

50Freestyle said:
The bottom line is that that post was in no way meant to be sexist and I am no sexist person, this is what made me mad.

Your "intentions" are meaningless when the message outcome is different. Because the speaker is unaware of the sexist nature of the message does NOT make the message any less sexist.

I am an overeducated old man. I'm used to being able to discuss ideas without my co-arguer taking it personally.

I will do my best to leave you alone. You do not understand the nature of discourse. If I forget and comment on something you said, I apologize in advance. I am also not used to needing to keep a scorecard.

Peace,
dave

I also apologize for getting really uptight about it, I should've just left it alone. I just needed to let a little steam off because I've had some bottled up for awhile, I feel better now.

Sorry,

On topic: Wesdaman13 a.k.a. the immature asshole got banned for a couple weeks...

50Freestyle said:
I also apologize for getting really uptight about it, I should've just left it alone. I just needed to let a little steam off because I've had some bottled up for awhile, I feel better now.

Sorry,

THIS is what we need to see more of - sometimes people are edgy for whatever reason and can get upset sometimes, it happens to everyone
But not very often people actually have the stones to realize what they did and apologize for their actions - not pollute the thread to utter worthlessness like has happened recently to some other members

Spyderz20x6 said:
On topic: Wesdaman13 a.k.a. the immature asshole got banned for a couple weeks...
How do you know? :-?