Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help finding a switch

IsaacT

I am looking for a side switch for a custom host that will look very high quality and also be able to handle 4A of current. I am having a custom host built for a C-Mount 650 5W diode and I want it to have a side clicky.

Also, have any of you done a side clicky custom build before? How difficult is it to affix the switch?

Lastly, would the wiring be difficult to add an LED indicator light? I may not do this, especially since it will be damn near obvious that it is on, but it would be a nice touch.

Thanks,
Isaac

djQUAN

I don't know how much I can bel of help but I was able to use a tact switch for my 1.4W 445 and added an LED for a lighted button. You can check my sig for the link.

DTR

Here is the link I was going to post but looks like they are down for Maintenance. They are selling them for use an E-cigs which use like 3A+ to work. I think he said they were tested to 5 or 10A.
Maintenance

I did not link to a specific unit just pictures. Where did you see 50mA?

IsaacT

Would THIS SWITCH work if I just put it in series before my driver in a build? I don't really understand how to power an LED in a build.

Thanks,
-Isaac

Hey Wanna, have you considered using a transistor or relay? Then you wouldn't even need some special and expensive switch, there wouldn't be any sparks from the high inrush of current (or a switch that degrades with use), and you could put all the indicator circuitry you want on around the switch.

It would also be safer to use a MOSFET or relay because they have current protection diodes built in. When you use a switch directly, the huge change in current causes a lot of back-EMF that can fry circuitry if not discharged properly.

Such circuits are not hard to build, and they're not that large either. It'd be as simple as this:

attachment.php

The parts are cheap too. A MOSFET only costs about $1.00, can handle 10s to 100s of amps, and they already have the protection diodes. If you want the indicator light, you could then put the indicator light from the gate, through an LED and resistor to ground. You'd be free to choose any switch you wanted at this point, or even using an electrical input.

More info here. Let me know (PM if I forget to watch this thread) if you need any more help.

Attachments

• switch_mosfet.jpg
    switch_mosfet.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

IsaacT

The host has been made. Once it arrives here and I make a build i will show it off. The switch is momentary, so I'm not rigging the led up since my thumb will be covering it.

IsaacT

I will say a few things:

1. I designed it
2. It is a side clicky Host
3. It uses a new type of focus adapter I thought up which should improve focus accuracy and reduce wobble
4. It is sleek and Elegant

Ehgemus did an amazing job on turning my designs into something tangible and I will be making a nice multimedia/build thread later when it gets here.

Well, the fact that it's a side clicky host is obviously because you just said that it use a momentary switch button. As well is evident that is portable.:yh:

Last edited:

Tmack

I rebuild that wicked laser EVO with a x switch from angelos. I had to modify one of those plastic driver retainers for the x switch to function. It was actually a pretty big pita. To get the perfect throw on the switch was the hardest part. But in that build everything was tiny, and being a solid pen, I had no view of position of everything. But in terms of getting the side switch to function dependably definitely takes some creativity.
I basically had to totally reshape the retainer I had found to work with a entirely new situation. Lots of trial and error, lots of tweaking positions. Nothing you should be stumped by, just going to take some precision :D