Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help buying battery, Panasonic 18650 doesn't work

Hi guys, I am a noob when it comes to electronic components like batteries, different types of connections and lasers. I recently bought a PANASONIC NCR18650A

1 Panasonic NCR18650A Li ion Battery 3100mAh 3 7V 18650 New Japan Made No PCB | eBay

To use with my 2nd Lazerer LZSK that I have now, sadly I charged it up for 20 min and it doesn't work with it. I need some help as it looks slightly different on the tip compared to the 18650 I got from Lazerer (By the way is the capacity on the Lazerer one legitimate?) I saw that there is a slightly higher capacity Panasonic one and I was wondering if it would work, as I don't want to go through this process again. It is 3100mah for the one I have right now, and this other model is 3400:
1 New Panasonic NCR18650B Li ion Battery 3400mAh 3 7V 18650 Japan PCB Protected | eBay

There are versions with and without protection and I don't know what that affects, I bought the unprotected 3100 though. I appreciate any responses, thanks.

I would bet that the reason your 3100mAh cell doesn't work is that it doesn't have a button top. Instead, the top contact is probably flush with the outer rim of that side of the cell too.

You might just need to create a button top or spacer for your current battery. I am not familiar with the LZSK, but perhaps others could offer more specific suggestions. Some folks use tiny magnets as conductive spacers, because rare earth Nd magnets are coated in a nickel jacket that conducts electricity. You do have to make sure that the magnet doesn't short the + end of your cell to the metal body of the laser or light. Is a good way to either fry a switch or blow up a cell (less likely with your particular cell, but still, a good idea to avoid dead shorts).

Yeah I couldn't find any button tops but it looked like one on the ebay auction, I'll upload photos in a sec, is the 2nd battery 3400 mah button top? I want a high quality one, I totally trust Panasonic, but I don't know where to look :p

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2w33pmo.jpg

You can use Ctrl+mouse wheel forward to zoom, it was scaled down 20x by tinypic

Last edited:
Depending on your charger's output current 20min may not be enough to get it even 25% charged if it was totally discharged when you bought it. What charger are you using, and do you have access to a volt meter?

(Btw, it takes ~1hr to -mostly- charge my 3400mAh cells on my high power 1A charger, and I never let them get below 3V. Some places sell them with the cells as low as 2.5V.)

to shed some light, i have the Stick or LZSK and use 2900mAh Pani flat tops in it. works perfectly. Never tried a button top since the flats work for me. they make the Panasonic in button top and they are on fleabay if you want or aura buy in sets of two, think FT even has them in sets of two. Got mine from Aura and works perfectly, holds a charge very well and doesnt heat up when charging.

When i do recharge them in my i4 smart charger, they stay in over an hour before it says fully charged so your 20 min charge could be completely useless and not bring the voltage over the threshold needed to lase. do you have a quality charger or just the one provided by lazerer. if you don then grab a nitecore i2 or i4 and only use that charger, works for everything from aaa-22600 so is the only charger you will ever need.

It actually works when I put a penny on top of the battery when I use my laser, but I can't use the on-off button, it just stays on, Is the link I posted for the 3400 mah a flat top model? I appreciate your responses, thanks.

Last edited:
didnt even notice the second link. um as far as i can tell they are button tops and the description says length with button top. that is a very good seller so send him a message and he can answer your question to make sure

No, it's got to do with the type of battery or something. @Livinloud: I will contact him to return the one I got today, and see if he knows. Thanks

I just noticed the B at the end of Panasonic NCR18650B, It actually might be. Should I buy a protected or non-protected one though? I really don't know what it changes.

Misho;

I also think the problem is the flat top on your cell.

I have 3400mah Panasonics with the button top:

Button.jpg

You could also get an electronics guy to solder a button on your 3100 Pany cell.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Yes thank you LarryDFW, it's the flat top that is the problem, should I buy a protected or non-protected PCB though?

Yes thank you LarryDFW, it's the flat top that is the problem, should I buy a protected or non-protected PCB though?

I'm not a fan of most cheap chinese protection circuits.

I've seen too many fail, and don't like the added internal resistance.

All the cells I sell are without protection PCB's.

LarryDFW

Larry I'd buy them from you but I don't want to upset the seller, since I'm already returning the battery, sorry. I have friends who use lasers as well so I'll recommend this battery and brand from you ;)

I bought the Panasonic 3400mah button top no PCB, I might buy a high drain one to see if there is any power difference.. What do you guys think?