Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Alignment Help W/Aries Handheld

A while back, I got a 95mW Aries green handheld laser from LaserGlow. It worked great for several months, until I got it wet during a field training exercise (I'm in the US Army) and the key switch got some internal corrosion and died. I decided to disassemble and repair it myself, but during the process, I tweaked the crystals out of alignment and instead of a single beam I had a row of dots and a significant drop in power. After tweaking the set screw adjustments in the OC/crystal housing, I was never able to get rid of the "row of dots" effect and decided to bite the bullet and take the entire crystal housing apart and start from scratch. The problem I have now is that I can't get any green light output.

I have everything apart except the 2 screws that mount the brass plate holding the vanadate crystal to the pump diode heatsink--they are glued down and I'm afraid that I will strip the heads out if I torque them enough to break the glue. The position of the vanadate mounting plate was marked before I disassembled the laser, so I'm pretty sure it's where it was placed at the factory. All of the optical surfaces on the crystals, OC mirror, and expander lens/IR filter appear to be pristine, with no chips, cracks, gouges or missing chunks of AR coatings on any of the lasing components. I know the pump diode is still good--I get significant IR output through the vanadate that shows up on my cellphone camera. The only casualty of the disassembly process was the collimator lens, but it already had some chips in the AR coating and I intended on replacing it anyway.

Some questions:
1. The IR coming out of the vanadate (at least what's visible to my cell phone, presumably 808nm) is not a single spot or oval, it's a series of lines in a pattern sort of like a squarish bar code. Does this mean the alignment between the vanadate and pump diode needs adjustment, and if so, is that the cause of the multi-spot output? How would I fix this?

2. How can I tell the correct orientation of the KTP relative to the vanadate & pump diode. Everything I've read indicates that the KTP must be aligned with the polarization of the output from the vanadate, but I don't see any indication on the crystal or the mount that would identify the correct orientation.

3. I'd like to optimize the laser for minimum overall divergence rather than minimum short-range beam diameter. I would rather be able to see the spot from a greater distance than to ignite matches or pop balloons. Can I simply get a replacement collimator lens with a slightly different focal length and expand the beam a bit that way? I have a fair amount of slack in the focus adjustment available. Any recommendations for sourcing the lens?

Brett

It sounds like you've read through this already:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercds.htm#cdssups

...if you read the whole thing several times (all the way to the end) you'll see that there are several examples of case studies of people restoring damaged lasers and dealing with issues just like yours, such as polarization of a single mode pump diode beam vs that of the vanadate.

I personally haven't yet had a chance to tweak a DPSS system that utilizes discrete crystals...all mine so far have been DPM - hybrid, which are much easier to align, mod, and optimize. But eventually I will be there. If you have access to a laser power meter, you can use that to get feedback about changes you make to the alignment, and still be able to do it "blind" and probably accomplish something productive.

-Brett

Attachments

• phase_matching_ndvd04_ktp.gif
    phase_matching_ndvd04_ktp.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 809
Ugh. I know I have all of the parts needed to make it work; it's just getting them all lined up is such a hassle. I guess I'll keep trying.

Edmund Industrial Optics. They carry a wide range of plano-convex lenses, of the shelf, already AR coated.
VIS 0 is what you'll want

steve001 said:
Edmund Industrial Optics. They carry a wide range of plano-convex lenses, of the shelf, already AR coated.
VIS 0 is what you'll want

Thanks. I'll look into it...

DocX

@JonWeinke

Did you get anywhere with repairing this laser ?

I have an Aries which I have taken apart to check the driver, it is now also outputting a green 'barcode' looking pattern something like this: []|||[]

This output is green. I did not adjust or disassemble any of the crystal assembly so don't know why this is happening.

Previously the laser was operating normally ... Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I do cheap dpss alignment and repair :)

Anyway, as long as you can see a clear path through the crystals to the pump you are aligned well enough to get SOMETHING out of the laser. I'm willing to bet the crystals are fine as far as alignment goes. I'm betting your problem is the output coupler. It needs to be PERFECT. Make sure you have a clear light path through the crystals and then spend your time on the OC.

The green barcode output is a crystal alignment issue, something must have gotten nudged as this can happen even if you're only .5mm out of whack. The pump could have even been moved a tiny bit.

DocX

@GooeyGus,

I am in the UK, so sending the laser to the US for repair would be expensive :-/

As I mentioned I do get the green 'barcode' pattern, this changes intensity as the pump diode current is altered, so there is some lasing ...

Do you think it is more likely to be the OC or crystal alignment ?

The module is glued and screwed together, can you recommend a product to use if I need to glue the optics again ?

What is the general procedure for aligning the OC, it is held by three set screws ?

Thanks for your help :)

The barcode is a crystal issue. Somehow your crystal set became misaligned with your pump or vice versa. The cavity itself, as in the crystals with each other and the oc with the crystals, should be fine. So you should just be able to move the entire optics set until you have a good beam again, you shouldn't have to take apart the crystal set or move the oc. I use heat sinking silicone but any sort of adhesive, as long as it's not really "fumey" should be fine, but you shouldn't have to take the glued section apart

D

Deleted member 8382

soldier from the USA army with illegal lasers :eek:

hehe just joking. sorry for the stupid post but I had to say it ;D

Kenom

this is a pain. I spent in excess of 2 hours just playing with the alignment of the OC in my aries. You'd think intuitively that it needs to be centered, but that's not necessarily the case. On mine, I've literally got to have the laser on the EDGE of the OC in order for it to start lasing.

Gooey are you sure that the [llll] is not a diode that has gone bad. I know with all my 9mm diodes when I push too much current into them I get a bar output like that. As I increase current the bars get further from one another [l l l l]

DocX

Gooeygus,

Your suggestion worked!

Moving the mount holding the LD, I managed to get back to a single dot ... it is very fiddly to hold this in position and tighten the mount screws.

I am only getting 25-30mW, any suggestions on how I might squeeze more power out of this laser?

The driver seems to max out at 750-800mA, measured between the driver and LD