Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need advice on which laser is the best for me

Hi I currently don't have any lasers so this is new to me. What I want to get is a green laser that can light matches, pop balloons, etc. I don't want to spend too much money, $100 or less is what im going for.. Here are 3 I saw around my price, are any good for what I want? Have one to recomend?

www.rayfoss.com

www.rayfoss.com

www.rayfoss.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

Id go with this one, it should be a good starter laser for you.

www.rayfoss.com

The reason being is, because of its size it should dissipate heat well and is also water proof. It has a tailcap so you can turn it on and have both hands free. I would also invest in a pair of safety glasses as laser light is not good for your eyes! Be sure to get the specific wavelength which is 532.

You can buy glasses here - Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

A member here named Glenn (scopeguy20) also sells glasses but i would recommend the ones from dragon lasers for your laser. Glenn's glasses Probably wont protect against direct exposure from 150mw so i "highly recommend" dragonlasers. There are other places you can buy glasses from too maybe somebody else will post them :) (you can do a manual search yourself too!)

Anyway......Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your stay!

Thanks,
Jeff

X FLY

Last edited:
Yes, I do want to get a green laser, not a red one. I saw that sale, but I didn't see any of the lasers being under $100.. was there one I missed?

EDIT: ones I did see also seemed to be out of stock, also I looked at your link and the highest powered one was 25mW I think? And that's not high enough to light matches is it?

EDIT 2: I saw the red one.. I guess one of the reasons im interested in green is so I can see the beam (so it could be used for star gazing too) also I live in the US so im thinking deal extreme is out of the question.

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the rayfoss laser jeff recomended, it actually came with a "gift" that being safty glasses which is nice. Thanks for helping me find some good lasers. I'll report back once I get it.

X FLY

I went ahead and got the rayfoss laser jeff recomended, it actually came with a "gift" that being safty glasses which is nice. Thanks for helping me find some good lasers. I'll report back once I get it.

K. Hope its upto spec :)

Hi I currently don't have any lasers so this is new to me. What I want to get is a green laser that can light matches, pop balloons, etc. I don't want to spend too much money, $100 or less is what im going for.. Here are 3 I saw around my price, are any good for what I want? Have one to recomend?

www.rayfoss.com

www.rayfoss.com

www.rayfoss.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

Although it can't pop balloons or light matches (personally, I haven't tried....), jsut for the price point and to have a backup, I'd go for http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1076.htm
I bought 4 lasers from them already (two of the one I just posted) and they are fantastic. Bright, thick, consistant beam and only $24.99 each (buy two and you can use their discount coupon).:) I use them mostly at the clubs

Last edited:
You wont be disapointed. Rayfoss makes pretty great lasers. I never owned a green one from them but from what i heard they ship good units. If you ever get a chance email feona and ask her to meter your laser. Be careful with those glasses as well.... they should work for pointing and burning but i would not want to get hit in the eye with the beam. Let me know when you get it. Id like to see pictures!

Thanks,
jeff

Email feona to meter it? Im guessing that means getting the actual output? How does that work?

And yeah, i'll definatly get pictures up.

You just ask. If it was already shipped you might not be able to get it but it cant hurt to ask.

Thamks,
Jeff

Im still not sure I understand what I'd be asking? You mean I ship the laser to feona then she ships it to me?

Toke

Im still not sure I understand what I'd be asking? You mean I ship the laser to feona then she ships it to me?

I think Feona is the sales contact at Rayfoss, and if asked they will meter a laser before shipping.

Oh ok cool, Thanks for letting me know about this. I sent an email to them, and they sent one back saying they'll test it before its sent out on monday

Sorry for the long wait, I still haven't gotten it yet, I did however get an email in in time for them to still meter it.

Peak power output 195mW
Stable power output 170mw
Test duration:20 seconds.

I'll post back when it actually gets here

Sorry for the long wait, I still haven't gotten it yet, I did however get an email in in time for them to still meter it.

Peak power output 195mW
Stable power output 170mw
Test duration:20 seconds.

I'll post back when it actually gets here
so you contacted rayfoss after you bought the laser to have it metered? for free?