Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need advice on laser build

Ok so I'm looking at trying to build a portable laser pointer that can engrave and burn plastic from at least a few feet away. So I'm looking for people to give info on best setup for price that i could build?

This project intrigues me and if i don't get any replies i would think this would be best. (although a little more then i was hoping to spend)

www instructables com/id/Laser-wood-burning-pen/

Also a little off-topic here but I was HOPING to make it so this pointer fits into a CNC machine i'm building but again need to make sure laser will engrave as well as i need a circuit layout for driver? I figured i would wire up a male and female connectors to make for quick disconnect (maybe mini usb)

(My thread on cnczone for more info www cnczone com/forums/showthread.php?p=567608#post567608)

(I cant post sites yet so just replace the space with a period

I am working on the same type of project and am a member of CNC zone, your link didn't work for me I will look up your thread...

Regards rog8811

Found your thread, You might do as well to look at fiber coupled IR lasers, something like this (which I bid on but....)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220355590471&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=012

What you can consider is that as the range of height where it will burn is small you could use something like M3 mill and use the Z axis to lift the laser.
It will need to be tec cooled for continuous use.

I hope that helps.

Regards rog8811