Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Advice on glasses for 445nm ~1.6W laser

Ok, I've used the calculator listed in one of the Mod's signatures to figure that I need glasses with at least an optical density of 3.86 (so 4+ with rounding).
I don't have the laser yet, and when it does get here I have a flight helmet with a multi-wavelength laser visor on it that I can use until the glasses get here. I just don't want to run around in a 12-lb helmet & oxygen mask just to have fun with my new laser.

Basically, I would just like a list of 3 to 5 companies or people that are well trusted with laser safety eyewear, as I do not want to lose/damage my sight. I have way too cool of a job for that lol! (I'm a crewmember on USAF C-130H's)

I've already PM'd ScopeGuy20 about the glasses that he sells here on the forums, asking his opinion of they would be up to the task that will be protecting me from myself and my new laser. Currently waiting on his reply...

Please bring on the suggesstions!!!
Thanks in advance everyone!!!

KRY - KTP Green, Blue, 190-579nm [NR-KRY-00FDA] - $101.50

These will do. They're over OD 5 for 445nm.

Just out of curiosity what OD is your visor rated for and does it have 445nm in the range of wavelengths?

Woah! Those are pricey! lol. Although it looks like those are good for any laser, period.
Our visors are rated OD 6+ for all visible, UV, and IR light. They are a poly blend plastic with gel-resin coated interior and exterior sides. I think the plastic itself, and the two coatings basically like 3 sets of goggles on top of eachother. They are really dark, we always joke about how you would never know if one of us was passed out due to lack of O2 while having those visors on. This set of goggles closely matches what our visors look like to the naked eye, and according to the graph has almost the same filtering properties.
ARG - Blu Ray, Argon, Blue, KTP [NR-ARG-EN207] - $80.50

I may get the ones you suggested, or a more pocket friendly option if one can be found. I appreciate your response!

SpecV

Eagle Pair® OD4+ 190-540nm laser safety goggles good to 2W.