Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need advice: low power (<3 mW) IR laser 880nm

I work with sensors that are sensitive around 880nm and want to try something new. Therefore my idea is to use an IR laser.
Due to company and state regulations the maximum output should be 3mW.

Does anybody here have an idea if such a thing exists?

As an alternative I could also use a standard lcd projector and hope to find an appropriate IR filter (but I assume the projector will not emit light at ~880nm?) ...

Maybe you have another idea?

[edit]
Yes, it's really 880nm not 808nm!

Last edited:

I think this may be a problem, finding a 3mW 880nm. I would suggest shooting an email to CNI or PM'ing Scopeguy20 (Glenn) who does the CNI group buys here on the forum. I think Glenn may know more quickly if what you're looking for is available than CNI, but I think if you ask CNI for a 3mW 880nm they may be able to build you one, at a hefty price.

Nope, a projector shouldn't emit 880nm.
Here is a 10mW 880nm laser. Perhaps they can lower the power for you. With its divergence of 40° x 10° be aware the beam will expand more in one axis (fast axis) creating a rectangular dot that will get wider with distance.

A neutral density filter might reduce the power, not sure how well they work on IR.
Someone on here might also be willing to reduce the power while confirming it on a laser power meter.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, your help is very much appreciated. Good to see there is something I could use. Let's see what will work.

Who needs 3mW invisible laser?
People that want to develop system functions, that are invisible to the user to not disturb his/her view on the scene.